Alex Chambers and Claire Fryer are ready for the next level at starwweight.
Both Aussie fighters racked up first round wins over Japanese fighters at the Brace for War All Female card Saturday morning. Chambers (now 3-1) only needed 42 seconds to dispatch Mika Nagano in the main event. It was Chamber’s kickboxing that played a huge factor, getting a head kick and a knee to get the edge over Nagano. Chambers only loss was to another Japanese fighter, Mizuki Inoue, at JEWELS this past March.
In the co-main event, Fryer took a little longer to finish Rina Tomita; getting the TKO at 2:37 in round one. The stronger fighter, Fryer was able to control most of the match and her striking prowess gained her the ground and pound win. Fryer is now 3-1, with her only loss to Chambers in 2010.
A new featherweight fighter could be making her way to the rankings in November. Fiona Muxlow put her BJJ black belt to good use, as she was able to control debuter Leanne Reid. Muxlow got the unanimous decision victory, and improved her record to 6-1. With #1 ranked Ronda Rousey and #10 ranked Lauren Taylor dropping off the featherweight ranks in November, it is expect she will enter the top 10.
In what was fight of the night, Shauna Carew got the edge over Gina Cardillo in what was a battle on the ground. Several submission attempts by both fighters and scrambles for position made the match exciting for viewers in fans. Carew would get a debut decision win.
Here are the complete results
- 52 kg (114.5 lbs) - Alex Chambers defeats Mika Nagano via TKO at :42 of round 1
- 52 kg (114.5 lbs) - Claire Fryer defeats Rina Tomita via TKO at 2:37 of round 1
- 65 kg (143.3 lbs) – Fiona Muxlow defeats Leanne Reid via Unanimous Decision
- 58 kg (127.8 lbs) – Rhiannon Thompson defeats Linda Nikeller via RNC at 2:27 of round 2
- 62 kg (136.7 lbs) - Tanya Stevens defeats Mae-Lin Leow via Majority Decision
- 48 kg (105.8 lbs) - Shauna Carew defeats Gina Cardillo via Unanimous Decision
- 50 kg (110.2 lbs) - Natalie Gonzales Hills defeats Samantha Manderson via RNC at 1:34 of round 3
- 65 kg (143.3 lbs) - Helen Malone defeats Lana Kate via RNC at 2:07 of round 1
- 71 kg (156.5 lbs) - Kerry Barrett defeats Brettlyn Neal via Unanimous Decision
- 70 kg (154.3lbs) - Maryanne Mullahy defeats Rebecca Steward via Armbar at :49 of round 2
- 61 kg (134.4 lbs) - Lisa Sutton defeats Belinda Sedgwick via RNC at 1:32 of round 1