In what was a slow weekend in women’s fighting, two pro MMA bouts happened Saturday, with one crowning a new European flyweight champion.
Karolina Kowalkiewicz only took 71 seconds to secure a rear naked choke on Marta Chojnoska to gain the submission and win the KSW flyweight title in Gdansk, Poland. Kowalkiewicz is now 3-0 as a pro.
Not to be outdone, it only took InvictaFC vet Lacey Schuckman 28 seconds to submit her opponent in Jody Lynn Reicher at Sparta Combat League in Denver, CO. It should be noted that Schuckman came in 4 pounds over the contracted weight, and this was Reicher’s pro debut.
In amateur MMA action:
- At Reality Fighting in Uncasville, CT, Fernanda Araujo defeated Dasha Hamilton by unanimous decision
- In a pair of bouts at the LegacyFC amateur series in Houston, TX, Colbey Northcutt defeated Ashley Cannon by submission (standing gulltoine) in round 2; while Leomana Martinez defeated Rene Saucedo by submission (armbar) 0:30 round 1
- Hannah Fitzpatrick gained the Universal Cage Combat featherweight title in Lawrenceburg , IN by deeating. Amanda Rose-Wyatt by TKO at 2:23 of round 3.
- At CWC 5 in Kingston, WA, Yvonne Alameda defeated Jamie Gonzales by submission in round 1
- Tiani Valle took the unanimous decision win over Allena Cook at King of the Cage in Maui, Hawaii.
- The USA MMA Challenger Series 1 in Elmira, NY saw Tammy Worrick defeat Che Strait-Martino by TKO in round 2
There are still a few fights we are getting results for, so make sure to check out our results page.
In boxing, Victoria Argueta successfully defended her WBC Silver minimumweight title with a unanimous decision won over Suri Tapia in Guerrero, Mexico
In other boxing action:
- In Lazio, Italy, Luca Podda defeated Daniele Salvestri by TKO round 2
- Hana Horakova defeated Pavla Votavova by unanimous decision in Usti nad Labem, Czech Republic
- In Washington, DC, Lisa Noel Garland defeated Kerri Hill by TKO in round 8
We are starting to pick up our kickboxing coverage thanks in part to the Female Muay Thai Group on Facebook. We highly recommend you give them a follow.
In action from this past weekend:
- Saturday – Grace Spicer defeated Ruth Walker by unanimous decision to win the K1 British title.
- Sunday – Vicky Church def. Grace Anderson by unanimous decision
At the Fighter’s Legion card on Differdange, Luxembourg…
- Veronica Vernocchitab def. Claire Haigh by split decision to win the 62 kg ISKA World Title
- Caroline André def. Corrina Micheli unanimous decsion to win the ammy FLB Luxembourg International Title
At Siam Fight Promotions in Tuscan, Arizona…
- Ashley Munes def. Kharen Acuna by unanimous decision
- Zeryn Lewis def. Andreanna Olivera by TKO round 1
- Tierra Brandt def. Mckayla Moore by split decision
Metamoris BJJ held their second grappling event Sunday in Los Angeles, highlighting professional Brazilian Jiu-jitsu fights. In the only female match on the card, Mackenzie Dern and Michelle Nicolini fought to a draw after 20 minutes.