It took them a while, but the UFC has officially acknowledged the signing of Alexandra Albu. She will face Julie Kedzie at UFC Fight Night 33 in Brisbane, Australia December 7th (December 6th in the U.S.).
Vale Tudo Russia was able to get an interview with Albu and found out some more info about her.
- She is from Vulkaneshty in the Republic of Gagauzia, an autonomous territory of Moldova.
- She started in martial arts at age 10 in judo and karate
- Moved to Moscow when she graduated high school.
- Favorite fighter – Genki Sudo
- Her day job is training Crossfit, and is a Russian champion in the sport
- Four years ago, she started training at MMA-KEGI as a way to stay in shape for bodybuilding.
- Her nickname is “Stitch”, from the Disney movie “Lilo and Stitch”. Her coach Andrew Car’kov gave her the name because she trained like the character.
- She also trained at Tiger Muay Thai, Simbi Muay Thai, and Pattaya Combat Club in Thailand.
- Albu only has one certified fight, with her fights in Thailand still in unsanctioned as far as we can find. Albu states that the fight we can verify was her first in a cage, and considers it her official debut.
- The UFC opportunity came about because of Red Fury Fight Team manager Sam Karden. Red Team is Fedor Emelianenko’s fight camp.
- She is planning on training in the U.S. before her UFC debut.
- She follows the women’s division closely, but hasn’t see this season of “The Ultimate Fighter”.
- Doesn’t trash talk at all. On a professional level, she thinks Ronda Rousey’s stand-up is lacking, but gives her credit to her clinch work and grappling. Thinks that Cyborg could be Rousey.
She will have a tough task in veteran fighter Kedzie (16-12) who looks to snap a three fight win streak. She lost a split decision to Germaine de Randamie in her UFC debut in July.
The fight will air on Fox Sports 1 December 6 in the U.S.
Thanks to Anton Diveev (@Anton_Di on twitter) on contributing to this article