In action on Thursday at Bitetti Combat 18 in Rio de Janeiro:
- Viviane Sucuri def. Duda Yankovich by TKO round 2
- Priscila de Souza def. Ilara Joanne by Armbar in round 2
Shortly after the win, the semi-final pairings were announced.
In a rematch of their 2012 match, Moras will take on Juliana Pena. Moras won their first match via TKO (doctor’s stoppage). Top boxer Jessica Rakcozy will face InvictaFC vet Raquel Pennington in the other semi-final. The first semi-final will air a week from Wednesday.
InvictaFC president Shannon Knapp gave us some updates this past week about the present and future if the promotion.
If you haven’t heard yet, co-founder Janet Martin is out of company, but Knapp isn’t coming forward on why she is gone. The parting wasn’t amicable though, and there are some changes and messes being fixed behind the scenes in the wake of the split.
As we reported several weeks ago, InvictaFC 8 will take place in January or February. Cyborg Justino is expected to main event.
Knapp also stated that even though the UFC was talking to a few strawweights the past few months, they don’t expect to start a 115 division anytime soon.
Friday night on AXS TV, Lion Fights Muay Thai will feature three female kickboxing bouts.
Promotional standout Tiffany van Soest will take on undefeated French champion Magali Foroni. Also, InvictaFC vet Kaiyana Rain will make her promtoional debut against Miranda Cayabyab.
Victoria Beltran will take on Lauren Rosa in amateur action in an non-televised bout.
Alexandra Albu is out of her December 7 match with Julie Kedzie due to injury. A replacement is expected to be announced next week.
PXC has announced a female bout for their November 9th card in the Philippines.
Local fighter Gina Iniong will take on France’s Nathalie Heidel. Iniong lost a decision her last time out in China, but won her debut via choke. Heidel will make her MMA debut after a succesful kickboxing career.
The fight will stream on the PXC’s Livestream channel.
An update on “Spray Tan Gate”. After the news broke that Cortney Casey was appealing her loss to Pearl Gonzales in their XFC flyweight title match a few weeks ago because Casey claimed that “Gonzales’s spray tan made her slippery”; XFC president John Prisco has made a statement via the XFC website.
“I want to be careful because I do not want to devalue what Pearl earned that night. It was a great fight and either girl makes a great champion in our organization.”
“When Cortney came to me AFTER the fight I immediately took her to the TN commissioner, Jeff Mullins. Jeff and myself immediately proceeded to Pearls locker room where we could inspect if there was any illegal substance on her. We found her, knowing if there was anything prior it could have been removed by now, and she was dry. I wish it were brought to my attention during the fight, after is a problem, as both fighters have left the cage.”
“The Tennessee commission is researching the incident, but for now, we simply have to suffice to say these two WILL meet in the cage again soon enough to settle the score, and as Casey promises, it will be another exciting fight.”
XFC also announced they will have tryouts January 25 in Charleston, SC. One fighter will be selected to receive a 5 fight contract with the XFC, while others could earn 1 fight contracts to fight on a future XFC event. Pro and ammy females in all weight classes are welcome.
- NO BLOODWORK NEEDED – You will not be fighting, just sparring.
- You do not need to be on weight, but should be close. You will be paired up by current size.
- Must bring your own fight/sparring gear.
- $25 registration fee
More info can be found on the XFC website.
An extended preview of “Fightress” has been released. The documentary profiles Holly Holm and Mary McGee as they prepare for Holm’s last boxing match. It also interviews boxers and trainers on the struggles and tribulations on the women’s divisions in boxing.
Michelle Ould is expected to announce her signing to a major promotion in the next few weeks.
DEEP-JEWELS returns for its second card in Tokyo, Japan.
The main event features atomweight champion Seo Hee-Ham defending her title for the first time, facing Sadae Numata. Also the semi-finals of the strawweight tournament.
Here is the complete card:
- Seo Hee Ham vs. Sadae Numata – atomweight title
- Naho Sugiyama vs. Masako Yoshida (105)
- Tamaki Usui vs. Naomi Taniyama (105)
- Megumi Sugimoto vs Sachiko Fujimori (116)
- Naomi Taniyama vs Tamaki Usui (105)
Strawweight tournament semi-finals
- Mizuki Inoue vs. Emi Fujino
- Mika Nagano vs. Emi Tomimatsu
In other pro bouts this weekend:
- At Caged Warrior Combat 9 in Kingston, WA, Amy Davis takes on Thea Wolfe. This will stream for free at Cagewarriorcombat.com.
- Nadia Nixon faces Sharice Davids at Shamrock FC in St. Louis, MO
- In McAllen, TX, Maria Lopez battles Monica Flores at STFC MMA
- At NCF 17 in Santa Catarina, Brazil, Daiana Torquato takes on Ariane Lipski
In ammy MMA action this weekend:
- In a pair of bouts at Brawl in the Fall in Detroit, MI, Lauren Foley takes on Rachael Smith, and Katelyn Dykas faces Angela Jennings.
- Katlyn Chookagian battles Janice Meyer at CFFC in King of Prussia, PA. This will stream on GFL.tv for $15.
- At Hardrock MMA in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Raquel Brown takes on Rose Shanks-Smith
- Katy Collins faces Alexandria Stobbe at Brawl Inc. in Branson, MO
Three matches are set for Queretaro, Mexico on Saturday with two titles on the line.
Yazmin Rivas and Jessica Gonzalez will battle for the interim WBC bantamweight title. Rivas (28-7) has won her past seven fights. Gonzalez (3-1) has won two of her past 3.
WBA bantamweight champion Irma Garcia will defend her belt against Magali Rodriguez. Garcia (7-1-1) is coming off a split decision non-title loss to Gonzales in August. Rodriguez (13-4-1) has won six straight.
In the third bout, Maria Elena Villalobos will take on Alma De la Cruz.
Victoria Noelia Bustos will defend her IBF lightweight title against Roxana Beatriz Laborde in Santa Fe, Argentina Saturday. Bustos (10-2) won the vacant title in September over Ana Laura Esteche. Laborde (8-10) has won three of her last 4 fights.
In other boxing action:
- In Yucatán, Mexico, Ana Julaton faces Perla Hernandez
- Carolina Rodriguez takes on Natalia Vanesa Lopez in Puente Alto, Chile
- In Cerete, Colombia, Francia Elena Bravo battles Claudia Munoz
- Caroline Schroeder dukes it out with Masa Bacanov in Bayern, Germany
- In Aguascalientes, Mexico, Marisela Carrilo faces Karina Gallardo
- Karine Rinaldo battles Marina Sakharov for the vacant France super bantamweight title on Doubs, France
- In Mashantucket, Connecticut, Shelly Vincentdukes it out with Alisah McPhee