A week after announcing her retirement, Julie Kedzie has found a new job, InvictaFC matchmaker!
Kedzie made the announcement on The MMA Hour on Monday. She was offered the job Sunday by InvictaFC president Shannon Knapp and Kedzie was more than happy to take it. She will be talking to Knapp this week about the future of the InvictaFC women’s divisions and will hopefully start to look at new prospects next week.
Three more bouts have been announced for DEEP-JEWELS’s February card in Japan. InvictaFC vet Naho Sugiyama (9-3) takes on Satomi Takano (3-2), while Masako Yoshida (17-19-5) faces Miyoko Kusaka (4-7-1), and Yuko Oya (6-3) battles Mamiko Mizoguchi (2-5-2).
The 11 fight card will see Mizuki Inoue and Emi Tomimatsu battle for the vacant DEEP-JEWELS 115 pound title in the main event. The card will take place in Tokyo, Japan February 16.
The CJ Report has reported that #6 Unified Ranked atomweight Kikuyo Ishikawa announced her retirement on her blog last week.
Ishikawa (9-4) was on a four fight win streak before losing to Amber Brown at Pancrase earlier this year. She was a finalist in the JEWELS atomweight tournament, losing to Naho Sugiyama in the finals.
She has trained with UFC fighter Roxanne Modafferi and DEEP-JEWELS Celine Haga in the past. She was set to fight at InvictaFC 2 but had to pull out due to injury.
The retirement comes as Ishikawa announced she has gotten married and is pregnant. The best to her in the coming year.
Undefeated Brazilian bantamweight Larissa Moreira Pacheco (8-0) will be taking on fellow undefeated fighter Irene Aldana (3-0) for the Jungle Fights 135 title this coming weekend.
The 19 year old Pacheco has finished all of her opponents without seeing the third round, with 3 KOs and 5 submissions. Top Mexican MMA prospect Aldana just won the Xtreme Knockout bantamweight tournament, and has finished all of her opponents with KOs under 43 seconds.
Both can make a case for being in InvictaFC or the UFC with a win. No word on if it will stream.
The World Series of Fighting announced Friday #1 Unified Ranked strawweight Jessica Aguilar will take on a yet-to-be-named opponent for the company’s first ever women’s title in January. The match will air on NBC Sports Net.
Australian Shauna Carew will fight American Sarah Lagerstrom for the Roshambo MMA pinweight (100 lbs.) title February 1 in Melbourne, Australia. Carew (2-1) is coming off a win over Nusreen Isphany in May, and Langerstrom (0-2) is hoping to snap a two fight losing streak.
No word on if this will be streamed.
UFC Champion Ronda Rousey has been named one of Time Magazine’s “30 Under 30 Who are Changing the World”. You can read about it here.
Miriam Nakamoto has a torn ACL and will look to be out for 2014. We wish her a speedy recovery.
On a happier note, UFC title contender Cat Zingano is back in training. You can watch her do some light grappling here.
As the year comes to the end, many websites have started their WMMA awards voting.
The WMMA Press Awards nominations are set to be up this week, with Fan Favorite Fighter voting to follow. More on this in a few days.
As you are awaiting them, there is plenty of awards you can vote for your favorite fighters and fights of the year.
- Britain’s R-Awakening website has balloting up, as they are asking fans for their nominations on all sorts of WMMA categories, including amateur fighter, newcomer, and WMMA news resource of the year. You can choose 3-5 nominees depending on the category. You can vote here.
- They also have Muay Thai awards you can vote on here.
- Inside MMA’s “Bazzie Awards” has two female KO’s up for Fan Video of the Year – Jinh Yu Frey’s KO of Darla Harris & Alida Gray’s 5 Second KO. You can vote here.
- St. Louis’s “Knuckle Junkies” has two female fighters up for their general MMA Awards. Brittany Dugas is up for Amateur fighter of the year, and Susie Wyatt up for Breakout Athlete. You can vote here.
- Resurrection Fighting Alliance has nominated Justine Kish (Prospect of the Year; Submission of the Year) and Jessamyn Duke (Alum of the Year) in their awards. You can vote here.
- Kaiyana Rain and Kailin Curran battle at PXC 36 is up for Match of the Year for the Asian Promotion. Go to the Facebook photo here and like it.
- Nominations are open for the Mass MMA Awards. The awards focus on those fighters from New England, so vote accordingly. You can vote here.
- The Fighter’s Circle Awards has many female nominees in different categories. You can vote here.
Jordan Gaza was featured in Johnny Smallz’s music video “Bad Girl”. You can watch it here.
Gaza is also back in training and is expecting to fight in the next month or so. She also stated that she will be trying out for TUF 20.
Thanks to Babes of MMA for the heads-up.
Got non-confirmed reports that AXS will not be continuing their tv contract with XFC. With a new deal in Latin America, we suspect they maybe in the market for a better network with more coverage.
On Monday, Invicta’s Veronica Rothenhausler went on twitter and called out Charmaine Tweet for a fight on the promotion’s next card. Tweets stated she is down. Now it’s up to the promotion to book it officially…
Scheduled Fight (Results)
- At KOCP 12 in Argentina, Silvia Gomez Juarez KOed Susana Diaz in round 1
- Lilia Kozak KOed Lena Ovchynnikova in round 2 at Oplot Championship in Kharkov, Ukraine
- In Bismarck, North Dakota at Impact Fighting Championships 11, Ashleigh Heustis defeated LeAnn Amundson by TKO round 1
- At We Love MMA in Berlin, Germany Steff Schmidt defeated Sylvia Nagel by unanimous unanimous decision
- Aline Sattelmayer defeated Vanessa Guimaraes by unanimous decision at Real Fight 10 in São José dos Campos, Brazil
- At Evolution MMA in Brazil, Andressa Rocha submitted Livia Renata by rear naked choke round 2
- In a pair of bouts at MMA Costa in Brazil, Livia Renata submitted Bianca Reis by triangle choke in round 1 and Isabelly Varela got the TKO over Chayen Aline Gaspar round 2
- Liana Pirosin got the TKO over Helaine Ribeiro in round 1 at Armagedom MMA Fight in Brazil
- At King of the Cage in Rimini, Italy, Annalisa Bucci defeated Zita Varju by unanimous decision
- Aline Serio got the TKO over Tamara Sousa in 3:26 round 2 at Gringo Fights 10 in Brazil
- At Gladiator King in Brazil, Bete Tavares defeated Jessica Medeiros by unanimous decision
- In a trio of female bouts at XFO in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, Natalie Barczyk defeated Nicole Brown by TKO at 2:00 in round 2; Tina Gomez defeated Kimberly Roagner by TKO at 2:09 in round 3; and Sandy Thomas defeated Shawna Stevenson by TKO at 2:57 in round 2
- Brenda Enriquez submitted Palen Cornell by rear naked choke in only 16 seconds at Steelfist MMA in Salt Lake City, Utah
- In a pair of female bouts at Legacy 14 in Houston, Texas, Colbey Northcutt defeated Brandi Cobos by unanimous decision to win the 135 title and Alyssa Cantu defeated Elizabeth Hawk by unanimous decision
- At Dead Serious in Edison, New Jersey, Jenna Serio submitted Elizabeth Welch by armbar at 1:49 of round 1
- Kaytlin Neil defeated Tiffany Anderson by unanimous decision at Clash MMA in Logan, Utah
- In Olive Branch, Mississippi at Summit FC, Bobbie-Jean Lewis submitted Shawna Tyler by armbar in round 1
Osaka, Japan saw a seven fight female boxing card:
- Mari Ando defeated Jasseth Noriega by split decision to win the vacant WBC minimumweight title
- Emi Kitawaki defeated. Misaki Hirooka by unanimous decision
- Nao Ikeyama defeated Mika Iwakawa by majority decision
- Tamao Ozawa defeated Tanyakorn Sor Thammajak by unanimous decision
- Kumiko Seeser Ikehara got the TKO over Supa Tor Narong in round 1
- Tomonori Ota KOed Seita Mochizuki in round 2
- Yuto Kawanaka KOed Takahiro Morishita in round 3
In other boxing action across the planet:
- Carolina Raquel Duer successfully defended her WBO bantamweight title by getting the unanimous decision over Estrella Valverde in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- In a pair of title bouts in San Martin, Mendoza, Argentina, WBA super bantamweight champ Yesica Patricia Marcos retained her title by defeating Angela Marciales by unanimous decision; and Edith Soledad Matthysse gained the WBA featherweight title by defeating former champion Ogleidis Suarez by unanimous decision
- In a title for title match, WIBF lightweight champ Delfine Persoon got the TKO over WIBA champ Lucia Morelli and also won the TKO round 10 to retain the vacant WBF title in Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
- In Buenos Aires, Argentina, WBO light welterweight champion Fernanda Soledad Alegre reatined her title with a TKO win over Darys Esther Pardo by TKO round 5
- Myriam Dellal defeated Anita Torti by unanimous decision to win the vacant WBC International lightweight title in Seine-Saint-Denis, France
- Carolina Alvarez got the TKO over Basilia Mancilla in round 4 in Bosques de Tarango, Mexico
- In Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Elfi Philipps defeated Antonela Begonja by unanimous decision
- Djemilla Gontaruk got the unanimous decision over Wendy Gervois in Liege, Belgium
- Francia Elena Bravo defeated Maria Andrea Miranda by unanimous decision in Cerete, Colombia
- In Gyal, Hungary Gina Chamie KOed Marianna Gulyas in round 2
- Mikaela Lauren got the TKO over Rita Kenessey in round 2 in Stockholm, Sweden
- In London, United Kingdom, Jamie McDonnell defeated Abigail Medina by points
- Christina Swanson KOed Racquel Bailey in round 2 in Miami, Florida