#1 Unified ranked strawweight Jessica Aguilar has won her first major title.
Aguilar gained the first ever World Series of Fight strawweight title with a submission win over Alida Gray in Hollywood, FL Friday.
Aguilar (17-4) was able to get the takedown early via a suplex, but Gray got back up to her feet. Aguilar got Gray down again, took half guard, and set up the head and arm triangle choke. Taking side control, Aguilar finished the choke and got the tap at 2:45 of round 1.
This was her first submission win in the past two years, and she snaps Gray’s four fight winning streak.
Five fights were on deck at an action packed Pink Fights in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
In the main event, flyweight standout Aline Sério (7-4) took a unanimous decision over Elaine Albuquerque Caverna.
In an early “Fight of the Year” contender, Amanda Torres (2-1) came back to get the armbar submission over Paula Baack in round 3.
The two strawweights were slugging it out tooth and nail early on in the first round, slowing the pace a bit in round 2. Baack started to open up with knees and head kicks in round 3, getting the knockdown on Torres. Torres tried for a leg lock, and was able to take guard. As Baack tried for ground and pound, Torres grabbed an arm and was able to get the belly down armbar for the tap at 4:32 of round 3.
In other action from the card:
- Edlaine França Godoy defeated Raiane Abreu by submission (rear naked choke) round 3
- Dayana Silva defeated Mayara Aguiar by TKO round 1
- Hellen Bastos defeated Priscila de Souza by submission (armbar) round 1
In other pro MMA fights this weekend:
- In a pair of bouts at Gladiator Challenge in El Cajon, CA, Kristi Lopez takes the split decision over Tyra Parker and Alexis Dufresne gets the TKO over Catalina Medril in round 1.
- Brianna VanBuren earned her biggest win to date, getting the unanimous decision over Patricia Vidonic at RWCF in Redding, CA.
- At Caged Hostility in Ft. Worth, TX, Halleigh Haak won her pro debut, getting the technical submission over Lynae Lovato at 0:40 round 2. Haak choked out Lovato with a guillotine.
In amateur MMA action this weekend:
- In a pair of bouts at BlackoutFC in Carthage, MO, Blair Patton submitted Tabby Patterson with a triangle choke round 1, and Nora Hamilton got the unanimous decision over Tambree Wilson.
- At Capital City Cage Fighting Championship in Lansing, MI, Pam Sorenson defeated Cora Thomason by unanimous decision to win the 135 title, while Melisa Holmes Berean defeated Britt Lipka by TKO round 2 to retain her 185 title
- Nikki Smith defeated last minute oopponent Porsche Trust by rear naked choke round 1 at Shamrock MMA in St. Louis, MO
- At Full Nelson Promotions in Mahnomen, MN, Maddy Simmons defeated South African Santa-Marie Venter by split decision
- Janice Meyer defeated Cassandra Durant by unanimous decision at Gladius Fights 9 in Syracuse, NY.
Ana Laura Esteche won her first world title, gaining the WBA light welterweight title with a unanimous decision over champion Monica Silvina Acosta in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Esteche handed Asocta her first loss and improves to 10-3-1.
In other matches on the card, Adela Celeste del Carmen Peralta got the unanimous decision over Maria Angelica Ruiz and Yohana Gimenez and Tamara Marianella Nunez fought to a majority draw.
On other boxing action:
- Carolina Rodriguez successfully defended her WIBA bantamweight title getting the unanimous decision over Simone Da Silva Duarte in Constitucion, Chile
- In Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, Yazmin Rivas gained the vacant WBC Silver super bantamweight title by defeating Calixta Silgado by unanimous decision. Also on the card, Susana Vazquez def. Guadalupe Rodriguez by unanimous decision.
- Queens, New York saw three fights. Keisher McLeod Wells defeated Monica Flores by unanimous decision to win the vacant WIBA flyweight title. Eileen Olszewski got the unanimous decision over Jodie Esquibel and Jennifer Santiago defeated Peggy Maerz by unanimous decision.
- Yohana Belen Alfonzo defeated Natalia Vanesa Lopez by unanimous decision in San Luis, Argentina