In boxing action this morning in Australia, Sabrina Ostowari defeated Arlene Blencowe by unanimous decision (77-74, 76-75, 76-75) to win the vacant Australia lightweight title.
In boxing action Wednesday night in New York, New York, Heather Hardy defeated Christina Fuentes by split decision.
Shannon Knapp was on the “Promoting Real Women” podcast Sunday and gave out a few more details about InvictaFC 8.
A big reason for the delay is they are looking for a new venue. The card is on track to be in late March or early April. They have a “mock card” already set, and the lightweights could debut on the card.
A contest is up on their facebook to guess the main event and the results. Sign up fast because Invicta is planning to make a major announcement Friday night on “Inside MMA” on AXS TV.
UFC President Dana White has seemed to have come to Jessica Eye’s defense.
In a press conference Thursday, White stated:
“(Eye) was just nervous, said some stupid stuff on a radio show, I told her just to lay low and not worry about it. She makes it to UFC, gets busted for weed but her weed level was 16 ng/ML. In Nevada the limit is 150 ng/ML. Texas is 15ng/ML.”
Eye did apologize for not being up front about the positive test this week. Her limit was lower than all other states besides Texas – on average 50 ng/ML. Nevada’s is 150 ng/ML. The amount in Eye’s system could have been second hand.
White also announced the UFC will be building a new complex which will house their office building and a new “Ultimate Fighter” facility, just in time for TUF 20.
We are still waiting for a date for TUF 20 tryouts.
A new Invicta signee will take on an Invicta vet in Europe in May.
Newly signed Invicta strawweight Karolina Kowalkiewicz will defend her KSW 120 pound title against Jasminka Cive May 17 in Gdańsk/Sopot, Poland.
Kowalkiewicz (4-0) signed to Invicta this past week.. The KSW champion defeated InvictaFC vet Simona Soukupova this past September is looking to take out another InvictaFC vet in Cive.
Cive (5-1) was on a five fight win streak before losing to Bec Rawlings (nee Hyatt) at InvictaFC 5 last year.
Amateur bantamweight prospect Evva Johnson is planning to return to the cage March 8th in Somerset, Kentucky at Hardorck MMA as she may take on Annie Marie DeCrescente. Gina Begley of Bluegrass MMA reported the fight Thursday.
Johnson (6-1) is on a five fight win streak including submissions in her past three fights. She returns after a year layoff due to giving birth to her first child and a lack of opponents.
DeCrescente (2-1) is coming off a win over Jaime Chesney in November.
Cat Silva (1-0) is expected to compete in a lightweight bout on the card.
DEEP openweight champ Amanda Lucas announced she is expecting her first child. Congratulations to her.
This Sunday on the podcast, we will interview bantamweight Elizabeth Phillips about her upcoming pro fight against Rachael Swatez at Conquest of the Cage March 1.
You can listen live here Sunday at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est.
Marina Shafir is expected to make her pro debut in April.
Ronda Rousey is set to film “Entourage” in March, but it won’t be much problem in terms of training. She won’t have that big of a role in the movie and will be filming in L.A. near her home.
Two matches are set for Cage Warriors in London, England Saturday, which will stream for free.
On the main card, undefeated Amanda Kelly will take on former “Ultimate Fighter” hopeful Laura Howarth in a bantamweight contest. This will stream on MMAJunkie.com at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est. Both Kelly (134) and Howarth (135.7) made weight.
Strawweights Kirsty Davis and Veera Nykanen will battle it out on the preliminary portion of the card, which will stream on Cage Warrior’s Facebook page at 11:45 a.m. pst/2:45 est. Davis came in 4.5 pound over weight, so Nykanen will receive 40% of her purse. Nykanen weighted in at 113.7 pounds.
UFC and Cage Warriors vet Rosi Sexton will be guest commentating on both bouts.
DEEP-JEWELS returns Sunday in Tokyo, Japan with a loaded all female card.
InvictaFC vet Mizuki Inoue will face Emi Tomimatsu in the finals of the D-J strawweight tournament. The winner will face Ayaka Hamaski for the D-J 115 title.
On other MMA matches on the card:
- Shizuka Sugiyama vs Mizuho Sato (135)
- Naho Sugiyama vs Satomi Takano (105)
- Masako Yoshida vs Miyoko Kusaka (105)
- Yuko Oya vs Mamiko Mizoguchi (115)
- Sachiko Fujimori vs Shiori Hori (125)
In a grappling match on the card, Brittany Ann Decker takes on Haruka Kojima.
In other pro matches this weekend:
- At King of the Cage in Walker, MN, Brittany Dugas will take on Amanda Bobby Cooper on a battle of pro debuters.
- Christina Tatnell faces Helena Malone at Valor MMA in New Zealand
Intense Cage Fighting will debut their women’s division in Great Falls, MT Saturday. Local boxer turned MMA fighter Ariel Beck takes on Washington’s Yvonne Ameada.
We will be covering the match live on our sister website MTCage.com Saturday.
A pair of bouts are set for West Coast Fighting in Sacramento, CA.
Amateur flyweight prospect Roma Pawelek will take on Arlene Cilbreth for the promtion’s 125 title, and Aspen Ladd takes Maddy Simmons in a battle of amateur bantamweights.
This will stream on Competitivefightingsports.com for $20.
As we reported yesterday, AOL MMA will have four bouts on their Tampa, FL card.
- Cheyanne Vlismas vs Stephanie Alba (105)
- Brittany Kraycirik vs. Robin Wissmann (135)
- Ingrid Medrano vs Jessica Branco (115)
- Laura Mejia ATT vs desire Williams (135)
In other amateur MMA bouts:
- In a pair of bouts at XFC in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Terissa Wall faces Alice Romyn and Sarah Manthey takes on Jaz Walker.
- Also in Australia at Cage Conquest 3, Correne Seabrook battles Nat Hills
- Danielle Calegler faces Leslee Kelly at Cage Campaign in Peoria, Illinois
- At 559 Fights in Fresno, California, Yvette Ontiveros takes on Justine Estrada (145)
- In Myrtle Beach, SC at Conflict MMA (which will stream on GFL.tv for $15), Nicole Ertzberger battles Amy Bybee
Zulina Munoz will look to defend her WBC super flyweight title as she faces Alesia Graf in a rematch of their 2007 battle in Merida, Yucatán, Mexico.
Munoz (40-1-2) hasn’t lost a fight since the 2007 loss to Graf. Munoz has 26 finishes to her credit. He last won was via disqualification over Marisa Johanna Portillo.
Graf (26-3) was on a 16 fight win streak before losing a split decision to Ana Maria Torres in 2010. She is the current WBF super bantamweight champion and won her last match in 2012, defeating Liliana Martinez.
In other boxing matches this weekend:
- In Budapest, Hungary, Gina Chamie will defend her WBC Youth lightweight title against Alexandra Gorog. In another match oin teh card, Csilla Nemedi faces Gabriella Insperger.
- Noemi Bosque will duke it out with Marisol Miranda in Tampa, FL
- Paola Benavidez takes on Alejandra Maria de Lujan Rios in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- In Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, Sandy Tsagouris battles Yolanda Segura (126)
- Klara Svensson dukes it out with Veronika Hornyak in Albertslund, Denmark
- In Corse-du-Sud, France, Karine Rinaldo faces Claudia Ferenci
- Laetitia Arzalier takes on Fleis Djendji in Hérault, France
- In Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany, Therese Gunnarsson battles Sonja Soknic
A pair of bouts are set WCK Muay Thai in San Diego, CA, which will air on Fox Sports San Diego Saturday. Jemyma Betrian takes on Thais Souza, while Zoila Frausto battles Linda Aguilar.