Former “Ultimate Fighter” hopeful Laura Howarth got one of her biggest wins to date, getting a decision win over Amanda Kelly at Cage Warriors in London, England.
Howarth (2-0) used her pummeling, takedowns, and wrestling to stifle the Muay Thai based Kelly (2-1) for two rounds. Kelly used her striking in round 3, but Kelly was able to ride out the clock and get the unanimous decision.
The win puts her in a solid spot for a possible title match for the vacant Cage Warriors bantamweight title.
In another match on the card, Kristy Davis missed weight, but still faced Veera Nykanen in what was changed to an amateur bout. Nykanen would win by unanimous decision at a 120 pound catchweight.
DEEP-JEWELS crowned an interim 114 pound champion in an unusual way.
Emi Tomimatsu won the title by disqualification even before stepping into the cage. Her opponent in the 114 pound tournament final Mizuki Inoue came in a pound and a half over weight, which prompted officials to disqualify her and change the bout to a non-tournament “special rules bout”. Even though Inoue won the match via third round armbar, the official record will show it as a disqualification.
Former InvictaFC atomweight title contender Naho Sugiyama (10-3) got her second straight win, getting the TKO over Satomi Takano in round 1.
Here are the rest of the results:
- Shizuka Sugiyama defeated Mizuho Sato by doctor stoppage due to an eye injury in round 1
- Masako Yoshida defeated Miyoko Kusaka by unanimous decision
- Yuko Oya submitted Mamiko Mizoguchi by rear naked choke round one
- Sachiko Fujimori submitted Shiori Hori by rear naked choke in round two
In a battle of top prospects, Amanda Bobby Cooper got a big win over Brittany Dugas at King of the Cage in Walker, MN. In a highly anticipated bout between pro debuters, it was Cooper who got the armbar submission just before the end of round 2. The match took “Fight of the Night” honors.
Christina Tatnell won her forth straight by getting the second round TKO over Helena Malone at Valor MMA in New Zealand. One of the top bantamweights in Australia, Tatnell has finished in three of her wins.
At Oplot Challenge in Kharkov, Ukraine, Milana Dudieva snapped a two fight losing streak with a 32 second armbar win over Anastasia Plisenkova. The European bantamweight is looking to sign with a major promotion this year.
A pair of amateur title bouts took place at West Coast Fighting in Sacramento, CA.
Amateur prospect Roma Pawelek gained flyweight title by defeating Arlene Culbreth by submission in round 1. Pawelek was able to take Culberth’s back standing and sink in the rear naked choke. Pawelek is now 5-0.
Aspen Ladd successfully defended her flyweight title, getting the first round TKO over Maddy Simmons.
Intense Cage Fighting in Great Falls, MT debuted its women’s division as Ariel Beck defeated Jessica Bleck by TKO in round 1.
Beck used her boxing to overwhelm Bleck and swarmed her for the TKO win in just over a minute.
Beck is expected to fight for ICF again in May.
XFC Australia has helped spark an amateur division in the country with a trio of bantamweight bouts in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- Terissa Wall def. Alice Romyn by TKO round 2
- Jaz Walker def. Sarah Manthey by KO round 1
- Leirosa Mentha-Patterson and Bronwyn Noffke fought to a draw
In other amateur MMA action:
- In a pair of bouts at AOL MMA in Tampa, FL, Robin Wissmann defeated Brittany Kraycirik by TKO at 0:40 round 3 and Laura Mejia submitted Desiree Williams by rear naked choke 1:50 round 1
- At Conflict MMA in Myrtle Beach, SC, Nicole Ertzberger defeated Amy Bybee by decision
- Justine Estrada got the first round TKO over Yvette Ontiveros at 559 Fights in Fresno, California
- At ASAP in Uncasville, Connecticut, Kim Russell def.eated Kimi Haslip by split decision
Sabrina Ostowari gains her second Australian title and remains undefeated as she defeated Arlene Blencowe by unanimous decision to win the vacant vacant Australia lightweight title in Easton Hills, Australia.
Ostowari (8-0) took five of the eight rounds of the fight, battling back from a knockdown in round 4.
In boxing results this weekend:
- Noemi Bosques and Marisol Miranda fight to a draw in Tampa FL
- In Budapest, Hungary, Gina Chamie got the 4th round TKO over Alexandra Gorog to retain the WBC Youth lightweight title and Csilla Nemedi defeated Gabriella Insperger by unanimous decision
- Paola Benavidez defeated Alejandra Maria de Lujan Rios by unanimous decision in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Also in Buenos Aries, Argentina, Yamila Esther Reynoso TKoed Veronica Vanesa Robledo in round 1
- In Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, Sandy Tsagouris defeated Yolanda Segura by TKO round 3
- Klara Svensson defeated Veronika Hornyak by TKO round 1 in Albertslund, Denmark
- In Corse-du-Sud, France, Karine Rinaldo defeated Claudia Ferenci by unanimous decision
- Laetitia Arzalier defeated Fleis Djendji by points in Hérault, France
- In Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany, Therese Gunnarsson KOed Sonja Soknic in round 1