In pro MMA action Thursday, Danielle Taylor makes a successful pro debut as she defeated Maia Stephenson by unanimous decision at King of the Cage in Highland, CA.
In ammy MMA action on Friday at RFA in Lincoln, Nebraska:
- Alyce Roen submitted Stephanie Watts by triangle round 2
- Erin Smith defeated Janie Konyek by unanimous decision
Also Friday in pro action at Talent Draft 1 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Mariana Leonardo defeats Pamela Rivelles via TKO at :35 of round 2.
In amateur action on the card, Juliana Velasquez got the rear naked choke over Lucelia Souza at 1:57 of round 2.
In two boxing title matches Friday night:
- In Tucuman, Argentina, Cecilia Sofia Mena was crowned the new WBC Latino featherweight champion, defeating Antonina Ayala Vazquez by unanimous decision to win the vacant title
- Tenkai Tsunami got the 7th round TKO win over Honey Mae to win the vacant OPBF bantamweight title in Tokyo, Japan
Tuff-n-uff will start a strawweight tournament April 11 in Las Vegas and the stakes have never been higher. The promotion announced Friday the winner will receive an InvictaFC contract.
The participants are already set and it looks to be a multiple card process to crown a tournament champion. We will have more about the tournament next week.
RFA announce on their preliminary stream that it plans on opening three weight classes (125, 135, 145) in both the amateur and pro ranks. It also promised to have at least one pro and one ammy female fight on each of their cards in the future.
Gonzalez (2-1) has back to back armbar finishes, with her last one gaining her the XFC title in October. Warren (3-5) is looking to snap a five fight losing streak.
The match joins Fallon Fox versus Heather Bassett on the card. The event is not expected to stream unless the arena sells out.
We will have Pearl Gonzalez on the Wombat Sports podcast Sunday at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est.
DEEP-JEWELS announced they are going ton start doing pay-per-views of their events on UStream. This means greater access to fans in other countries including the US. No word on when this will start.
Paraguay’s Pamela Boveda will look for her second pro win as she takes on MMA debuter Brazilian Elen Torres at Rhino Fight Club in Ciudad del Este, Paraguay April 26.
Congratulations to Kyra Gracie. The top female BJJ black belt is pregnant with her first child.
One of the top flyweight prospects who just got her first pro win last month is expected to sign with Invicta next week.
Invicta is looking to shore up their atomweight division with some of the best 105ers around, so expect some of the top 15 to be signed shortly.
Mizuki Inoue’s manager Shu Hirata states he is hoping to sign the 19 year old to the UFC.
InvictaFC vet Inoue (7-2) has made waves as she defeated TUF 20 signee Bec Hyatt at InvictaFC 6. A major reason why she wasn’t considered for “The Ultimate Fighter 20” is she was in the middle of the DEEP-JEWELS tournament at the time. Since she lost in the finals due to missing weight, her dance card is open.
More than likely, Inoue will forego trying out for TUF and fight for the vacant Invicta strawweight title this year. After the dust settles on TUF, we could see Inoue signed in the UFC in 2015.
Cat Zingano mentioned she is open to fighting Cyborg Justino if offered the fight. She also confirmed the summer timeline for a possible return and looks to take the title match with UFC champion Ronda Rousey then.
Multi-time ADCC grappling champion and BJJ blackbelt Gabi Garcia is going to make her MMA debut in August according to an interview with Combate.com.
Considered the #1 BJJ competitor over 60 kg. Gracia, however, has bit of a hurdle. She is planning on fighting at 185 pounds, which is lacking depth at the moment.
18 year old MMA prodigy Shino VanHoose maybe back in the cage as soon as April. She last fought in 2012 at DEEP-JEWELS at the age of 16. After training in Japan for most of her career, she has moved to Idaho.
Brittany Dugas is expected to announce her next match for King of the Cage in Monday on the ProWMMANow podcast. It will be in April in Wisconsin, but she is keeping the opponent tight lipped until then.
After her win at Cage Warriors last week, Catherine Costigan will be heading to Holland to train with Lucia Rijker and Marloes Coenen.
Ireland’s Ais “The Bash” Daly is currently on a tour of the U.S. training in different parts of the country. She was in Portland, Oregon this past week, training and doing a few seminars.
Japanese atomweight standout Celine Haga has training out of Jackson’s MMA for the past few weeks. No word on how long she will be there.
Randa Markos is looking to get back on the winning track as she will take on Lynnell House at Provincial FC 2 in London, Ontario, Canada Saturday.
Markos (3-1) is a five year veteran of the sport, and won her first three pro fights until losing a decision to Justine Kish in January. Markos won her first pro bouts with back to back armbar submissions.
House (2-0) is looking for her third straight pro win, having finished her previous two opponents in the first round.
JEWELS vet Takayo Hashi is returning after a two year absence from the sport to take on Kim Ji-Yeo at Road FC in Seoul, Korea.
Hashi (14-4) snapped a three fight losing streak with a win over current InvictaFC signee Rozanne Modafferi. Hasi was on a eight fight win streak before losing to Sarah Kaufman in a title match for then Strikeforce 135 title.
Ji-Yeo is coming off her pro debut, fighting Shizuka Sugiyama to a draw.
In the other pro MMA this weekend at Collision Fight in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Débora Ferreira will take on Betina Baino
Virago FC will make it’s debut Saturday with an all female card in Williamsberg, KY.
Four matches have been officially announced for this card.
- Jessica Ehrnreiter vs. Allison Ainley – 145 title
- Sarah Cook vs. Anna Abrams
- Sarah Swain vs. Dominique Berry
- Septien Johnson vs. Mary Kate Hayes
Also expected to compete is Brianna Lynch, Amanda Benjamin, Tanya Greenlee, Raven Farley, Hope Halava, and Desiree Wilson.
Follow Wombat Sports on twitter for results.
Ignite MMA in Amarillo, TX will feature four female bouts Saturday.
- Mercedes Chavez vs. Trinity Davis (135)
- Angel Jones vs. Ruby Diaz (115)
- Sanaz Khamisi vs. Jianna Denizard (115)
- Bianca Rodriguez vs. Vanessa Grimes (115)
In other ammy MMA action Saturday:
- At V3 Fights in Memphis, TN, Andrea Lee faces Jamie Milanowski
- Chelsea McCoy takes on Gina Petron at Revolution Figtht Series – Winchester, VA
- In Evansville, IN at HooknShoot Danielle Ternet battles Alexis Ragsdale
- In a pair of bouts at Cage Kings 2 in La Junta, CO, Nayleen Schmidt faces Cheri Muraski and Tiffany Whatley-Mata takes on Sandra Jaqez
- At Hardrock MMA in Somerset, Kentucky, Taylor Brown battles Evva Johnson and Kerri Jenkins squares off with Joanna Bess
Undefeated Maria Vega looks to gain her first pro title as she takes on Linda Laura Lecca for the vacant WBA Fedelatin super bantamweight title in Lima, Peru.
Vega (7-0) is a five year vet of the sport, and has finished four of her seven opponents.
Lecca (8-2-1) is looking to recover from a title loss this past January at super flyweight, moving up two weight classes. Lecca had won five straight before the loss in January.
In other boxing action Saturday:
- In Sofia, Bulgaria Desislava Lazarova takes on Violeta Angelova
- Annie Mazerolle faces Marva Dash in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
- In Indre, France, Elodie Bouchlaka battles Jasmina Nadj
- Bibi Ondoua dukes it out with Ala Moussa Edine in Creutzwald, Moselle, France
- In Nord, France, Wendy Gervois squares off with Claudia Ferenci
- Angelique Duchemin takes on Marianna Gulyas in Thuir, Pyrénées-Orientales, France