In boxing action Thursday in Stockholm, Sweden, Mikaela Lauren defeated Esther Mashiya by unanimous decision to win the interim WIBA and the UBO & WPBF light middleweight titles.
Strawweight Ashley Cummins has re-signed to Invicta to a 4 fight deal.
The undefeated amateur fighter is 3-2 as a pro with back to back losses to “Ultimate Fighter 20” signees Joanne Calderwood and Emily Kagan respectfully. The match with Kagan was a razor thin split decision loss.
With the signing, Cummins will not be trying out for TUF 20.
In other signing news, XFC expands their strawweight division as they sign Andy Nguyen to a deal.
The 14 fight vet has been competing since 2010 and found some success in her amateur career. Having fought at high as 135, Nguyen recently has been fighting at flyweight. She intends on dropping to 115 for her XFC debut.
Before that, she will fight Ashley Hancock in an amateur bout at XFE in Greenville, SC April 12.
We will have Nguyen on the podcast Sunday at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est. You can listen live here.
ADCC World grappling champion Gabi Garcia has tested positive for a banned substance, but won’t sustain any punishment besides losing her IBJJF World Jiu-Jitsu in 2013.
In a letter released by the USADA, the organization stated Garcia tested positive for Clomiphene in June of last year, a drug that prohibits estrogen production and increases natural testosterone production. The drug is usually used for treating infertility in women.
The USADA found “Garcia had not acted negligently and was not at fault for the positive test.”
Undefeated Pannie Kianzad will return to action May 3 as the featherweight will take on Annalisa Bucci at Superior Challenge X in Helsingborg, Sweden.
Kianzad (4-0) is coming off a decision win over Milana Dudieva this past October. Bucci (6-2) is on a four fight win streak.
Congratulations to our friends over at Women’s MMA Round-up on their 1 millionth view. You can watch this hilarious video of the Round-up’s list of WMMA fan problems here. Enjoy.
Fox Sports did an interview with Gina Carano this past week and the MMA pioneer stated she is open to fighting again “if the circumstances were right.” She went on to express she would need a while to dedicate to fight full fight camp seeing she hasn’t been in training in a while. This means she would have to pass up upcoming projects, which doesn’t seen to be stopping anytime soon.
You can watch a new clip of her fighting in her new movie “In the Blood” here. It opens April 4th.
The undefeated Rin Nakai set to fight in May 11 at Pancrase in Tokyo, Japan. This will be the first time Nakai will compete in the cage since 2010.
Nakai (15-0-1) got her biggest win to date with a majority decision win over Tara LaRosa a year ago.
No word on an opponent.
Former Valkyrie strawweight champion Mei Yamaguchi will take on Gina Iniong at PXC 43 in Pasig, Philippines Saturday. Iniong missed weight by two pounds and the two will fight at a 107 catchweight.
Yamaguchi (11-6-1) has faced the best of the best at strawweight including wins over Yuka Tsjui and Mika Nagano. She was supposed to make her atomweight debut in the match.
Iniong (2-1) is in for the toughest fight of her career. The hometown fight return to MMA after a four year absence to get a first round TKO over Nathalie Heidel this past November.
The fight will stream as a part of the free preliminary fights on PXC’s Ustream channel Saturday morning at 8 a.m. est/5 a.m. pst.
MMA Super Heroes will hold an one night strawweight tournament Sunday night in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
In the first semi-final, Roberta Marreta will take on Michele Angelo, while Bruna Wing battles Renata Baldan in the second semi-final. The winners will face each other in the main event.
In a reserve bout, Luciana Treze faces Graziele Riccota.
In two non-tournament bouts:
- Kalindra Faria faces Laura Balin
- Herica Tiburcio battles Aline Sattelmayer
You can watch the event here at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est Sunday.
XFC International will have their third card this weekend with a pair of strawweight tournament semi-finals:
- Vanessa Guimaraes vs Marcela Yineris
- Gloria Bravo vs Vanessa Melo
Both matches will stream for free Saturday night on XFCMMA.com at 8:30 pst/11:30 est.
BAMMA USA will feature two female bouts on their card Friday night.
Tuff-n-uff champion Kyra Batara will make her pro debut as she faces fellow debuter Mia Nassari. Both Batara and Nassari came in under the 110 pound catchweight at 109.8.
In a bantamweight battle, Brooksie Bayard (133) and Melanie LeCroix (135.6) made weight.
Both fights will stream on GoFightLive.tv for $15 at 7 p.m pst/10 p.m. est.
In other pro action:
- In a pair of bouts at Fatality Arena 6 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, InvictaFC vet Vanessa Porto takes on Ana Maria India, and Aline Serio faces Bianca Daimoni
- Mariah Prussia battles Brandis Lafrombois at Max Fights 19 in Fargo, ND
- Unified MMA 18 in Edmintoin, Canada sees Kris Pomerleau fighting Rachael Swatez, and Diana Atkin dukes it out with Michelle House
- In Santa Fe, NM at Triple A MMA, Nikki Lowe faces Natalie Roy. In an amateur bout Lindsay Jones takes on Michelle Williamson
- Jen Aniano battles Holly Cline at Extreme Combat Challenge in Muncie, Indiana.
- At Shooto Finland in Lahti, Finland, Yana Lyashko dukes it out with Vuokko Katainen
In amateur MMA action:
- In a pair of bouts at Caged Warriors 3 in Houma, Louisiana, Wendy Simmons faces Cat Generio and Madison Dodd takes on Faith Charmros (115)
- Melana Smith battles Kathy Zolorzano at Spar Star in Inglewood, CA
- In a pair of bouts at Cowboy Extreme Fighting in San Antonio, Texas, Fatima Mallett fights Laurie Ashby, while Stephanie Builderback dukes it out with Dominique Gallegher-Gonzales
- At BFL in Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, Elyse Stevenson faces Amanda Pack (125)
- Mariah Smith takes on Michaela Seitter at Wright Charity Fights in Jacksonville, NC
- At United Cage Fights in Merrionette Park, Illinois, Debra Dunkel-Bartecki dukes it out with Shantara Profit
- In San Diego at Epic Fighting, Roesha Hightower faces Maria Dominguez and Alyssa Garcia battles Tushara Veerella
- At MMA Berlin in Germany, Alina Rath fights Lisa Gralla
- Stephanie Lapointe dukes it out with Laura Drennan at Fight League in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- At CCE in Pueblo, Colorado, Justine Estrada faces Jen Pomante
- Corrie Ward battles Madison Depiero at WFF in Chandler, Arizona
WBO/WIBF/WBF super featherweight champion Ramona Kuehne looks to defend her titles for the 5th time as she takes on Gina Chamie in Brandenburg, Germany.
Kuehne (21-1) is on a six fight win streak and has finished 3 of her last six. Chamie (8-0) is the former WBC Youth Lightweight champ and is looking for her first major title. She has finished half of her fights.
The match will stream on MyVideo.de Friday at 11 a.m. pst/2 p.m. est.
In other boxing matches this weekend:
- In Buenos Aires, Argentina Friday, Carolina Marcela Gutierrez Gaite and Mayra Alejandra Gomez will battle for the interim WBO bantamweight title
- WBO super bantamweight champion Marcela Eliana Acuna will defend her title against Estrella Valverde in Cordoba, Argentina. Also on the card, Yesica Patricia Marcos dukes it out with Silvia Fernanda Zacarias
- In Buenos Aires, Argentina Saturday, Debora Anahi Dionicius defends her IBF super flyweight title against Neisi Torres. In addition, Norma Elizabeth Diaz Caucota fights Alejandra Soledad Morales, Alicia Machaca battles Vanesa del Valle Calderon, and Julieta Cardozo fights Paola Gamarra
- Areti Mastrodouka takes on Claudia Ferenci in Athans, Greece
- In Nyon, Switzerland, Pasa Malagic faces Sandra Zekic