Brazil saw 11 female fights this weekend with the strawweights in all but one.
We start with a jam packed card at MMA Super Heroes in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
In the main event, Kalindra Faria (14-3-1) earns her 10th straight victory with a rear naked choke over Laura Balin. Faria was dominant in round 1 controlling Balin on the ground and continued control in round two, getting the rear naked choke to earn her second win in two weeks.
InvictaFC signee Herica Tiburcio (8-2) used her superior wrestling to outpoint Aline Sattelmayer to take the unanimous decision victory. Tirburcio have several huge takedowns during the match, and had some solid submission attempts throughout.
The undercard featured the MMA Super Heroes Strawweight Grand Prix, with Renata Baldan make an impactful pro debut and winning her first title.
Baldan would battle Bruna Wing in the semi-finals in what was a war on the feet. Baldan’s more accurate strikes gave her the edge and would get the unanimous decision to put her in the finals.
The other semi-final would see Michele Angelo get a devastating KO over Roberta Pereira da Silva Gomes. After a solid first round, Angelo, a right hand would drop Gomes to prompt a walk off KO in round 2.
In the finals, Baldan and Angelo started out in a slugfest, which saw Baldan taking the upperhand. Baldan would finish off Angelo with a series of knees to be crowned the strawweight champion.
In a reserve tournament bout on the card, Graziele Ricotta and Luciana Treze fought to a majority draw.
Meanwnile in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a pair of bouts happened at Fatality Arena 6.
InvictaFC’s Vanessa Porto (17-6) had little problems with Ana Maria India in her bamtamweight battle. The #2 ranked 125er on the planet was able to outstrike Maria in a rematch from their 2006 battle. Maria tried to takedown Porto but was easily thwarted. Porto would take an unanimous decision.
In a strawweight match, Aline Serio was flawless against last minute replacement Mayara Aguiar. Serio was set to fight Bianca Daimoni but Daimoni had dropped out only hours before the match.
Serio’s striking was just too much for Aguiar, and it took 60 seconds for Serio to get the TKO victory.
Phillipina fighter Gina Iniong picked up her 3rd win as she got the split decision over veteran fighter Mei Yamaguchi at Pacific Xtreme Fighting.
Iniong (3-1) started quick with punches, which forced Yamguchi to clinch and Yamaguchi started to knee Iniong’s thigh. Iniong would reverse a takedown attempt by take top position. Yamaguchi would secure the armbar on Iniong from bottom, with Iniong trying the slam out of it several times. Iniong would finally fight free of the armbar and the first round ends.
Second round saw Yamaguhci get the takedown early and get back control. Iniong escaped and got it back to the feet, but Yamaguchi got another takedown and landed some ground and pound before Iniong fought her way back to her feet. Yamaguchi would continually attack Iniong’s thigh while hitting some punches to the face that caused Iniong’s nose to bleed. Iniong would get a throw over Yamaguchi and pin her against the cage. Yamaguchi would fight through and get to her feet to end the round strong with punches to Iniong.
The final stanza say a battle on the cage in the clinch. Yamaguchi would try to get a takedown, but Iniong would reverse and get some striking before a scramble to the feet. Yamaguchi would get a takedown and get some ground and pound as time expired.
One judge gave it to Yamaguchi 29-28, while two judges gave the fight to Iniong 29-28 and 30-27.
Yamaguchi intends to appeal the decision.
In other pro action:
- In a pair of strawweight tournament bouts at XFC in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Vanessa Guimaraes defeated Marcela Yineris by split decision and Vanessa Melo defeated Gloria Bravo by unanimous decision
- At BAMMA in Commerce, CA, Kyra Batara submitted Misha Nassiri by armbar round 1 and Melanie Lacroix defeated Brooksie Bayard by unanimous decision (135)
- Diana Atkin got the TKO over Michelle House by TKO in round 1 at Unity MMA in Edmonton, Canada
- At Rumble On The River on Tulsa, OK, Erin McDougall defeated Jaymee Jones by unanimous decision
- At Max Fights 19 in Fargo, ND, Mariah Prussia defeated Brandis Lafrombois by TKO 0:27 round 1
- Holly Cline defeated Jen Aniano by unanimous decision at Extreme Combat Challenge – Muncie, Indiana
- At Shooto Finland in Lahti, Vuokko Katainen got the first round TKO over Yana Lyashko
- Natalie Roy defeated Nikki Lowe by TKO 1:40 round 1 at Triple A MMA – Santa Fe, NM. In an amateur bout, Lindsay Jones defeated Michelle Williamson by unanimous decision
- In China at Kunlun Fights, Jin Tang defeated Song Xiaoqing by TKO 2:15 round 2.
In amateur action:
- In a pair of bouts at Epic Fighting in San Diego, CA, Maria Dominguez defeated Roesha Hightower by unanimous decision and Alyssa Garcia defeated Tushara Veerella by unanimous decision
- At United Cage Fights in Merrionette Park, Illinois Debra Dunkel-Bartecki got the TKO in 17 seconds over Shantara Profit
- In a pair of bouts at Caged Warriors 3 in Houma, Louisiana, Jamie Blanton go the TKO over Cammie Hoover in 22 seconds, and Ashley Milligan submitted Faith Charfauros guillotine in 58 seconds
- Katie Vanderhoff defeated Christina Adams by unanimous decision at IT Fight series – Findlay, OH
- At CCE in Pueblo, CO, Angela Hancock defeated Shawna Tyler by TKO 0:41 round 1
- In a pair of fights at Cowboy Extreme Fighting in San Antonio, Texas, Fatima Mallett submitted Laurie Ashby by triangle round 2, and Dominique Gallegher-Gonzales defeatred Stephanie Builderback by decision
- Elyse Stevenson submitted Amanda Pack anaconda choke) round 3 at BFL in Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
- In Shock ‘n’ Awe in Portsmouth, England, Molly McCann defeated Ameesha Bhudia by TKO 2:01 round 1
- Corrie Ward defeated Madison Depiero by TKO round 2 at WFF in Chandler, Arizona
A stacked card in Buenos Aires, Argentina happened over the weekend with four female bouts.
Debora Anahi Dionicius successful defended her IBF super flyweight title getting the 4th round TKO over Neisi Torres. Dionicius goes 16-0.
In other action:
- Alejandra Soledad Morales def. Norma Elizabeth Diaz Caucota by unanimous decision (118)
- Vanesa del Valle Calderon def. Alicia Machaca by points (126)
- Julieta Cardozo def. Paola Gamarra by unanimous decision (118)
In boxing action this weekend:
- In Brandenburg, Germany, Ramona Kuehne retains her WBO/WIBF/WBF super featherweight title by defeating Gina Chamie by unanimous decision
- Mayra Alejandra Gomez defeated Carolina Marcela Gutierrez Gaite by split decision to win the interim WBO bantamweight title in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- In a pair of bouts in Cordoba, Argentina, WBO super bantamweight champion Marcela Eliana Acuna defeats Estrella Valverde by TKO round 6 and Yesica Patricia Marcos def. Silvia Fernanda Zacarias by unanimous decision
- In Puy-de-Dôme, France, Farida El Hadrati got the TKO in round 2 over Cindy Bonhiver to win the vacant France light welterweight title
- Elfi Philipps and Najat Hasnouni fought to a draw in Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
- In Athens, Greece, Areti Mastrodouka defeated Claudia Ferenci by unanimous decision
- Pasa Malagic defeated Sandra Zekic by TKO round 2 in Nyon, Switzerland