We are happy to announce Intense Cage Fighting will be holding an all female card on May 9th in Great Falls, MT. The card will feature a four woman tournament to crown the first ever ICF flyweight champion.
Wombat Sports will be giving you complete coverage of the event including interviews, previews, and live results as it happens.
The new Unified rankings are out with only one change in the strawweight top 10. With her win this past weekend, InvictaFC signee Herica Tiburcio has entered into the list, taking the 10 spot. She bumps Bec Hyatt to #12.
You can read the complete April 2014 Unified rankings here.
Paige Van Zant has signed to the UFC directly and won’t be a part of the Ultimate Fighter.
The now 20 year old is one year shy of the 21 year old age limit due to alcohol being available in the house.
There are still unconfirmed reports that the Brazilians, Claudia Gadelha and Juliana Lima, will also be signed directly to the UFC and forego TUF 20, because of the language barrier.
UFC champion Ronda Rousey has gotten her way and will part with her management, at least partly.
Through arbitration, the California State Athletic Commission has released Rousey from a three year deal she made with Fight Tribe Management. However, this only bans Fight Tribe from getting fees from Rousey’s fight purses. Outside projects including her acting career, modeling, and promotional gigs are still in effect, but Rousey can fight that part of the contract in the California Superior Court; which her attorney Steven Bash intends on doing.
Two female fights are scheduled for Lappeenranta Fight Night 10 in Finland May 17. Vuokko Katainen will face Julia Borisova and Suvi Salmimies will take on a fighter to be determained.
Amateur prospect and WMMA Press Award winner Susie Wyatt will be back in action April 9th as she face Ronnie Lawrence at Fight Hard MMA in St. Louis April 19. Wyatt (7-3) has only been stopped once in her career. Lawerence is currently undefeated at 6-0 and has finished all her opponents.
On the Wombat Sports podcast at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est, we will have amateur fighter Carissa Merrill, who will be a part of an historic half female and half male card in Utah.
Gina Carano stated on “The Arsenio Hall Show” this week she will be meet with UFC president Dana White next week to talk about a possible comeback.
You can watch her appearance here.
According to Holly Holm’s coach Mike Winkeljohn, Holly Holm’s management will try to go back to the bargaining table with the UFC after her match this weekend at Legacy. He says Holm is opening to fight InvictaFC featherweight champion Cyborg Justino and Holm’s management is looking to do a pay-per-view event if that happens.
Holly Holm will seek to get her first MMA title as she takes on Brazil’s Julie Werner at Legacy Fighting for their vacant bantamweight title in Albuquerque, NM which will air on AXS TV Friday night. Both fighters came on weight.
Holm (6-0) has knocked out five of her six opponents, going the distance in her last match against Angela Hayes in December
Julie Werner (7-3) is on a five fight win streak with her only losses to Vanessa Porto.
Undefeated Brazilian bantamweight Larissa Pacheco is looking for her 10th straight win as she faces Liziane Silveira at Jungle Fights 68 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Pacheco (9-0) has finished all her fights, with 5 submissions and 4 KOs. She is looking to sign with the UFC.
Silveira (2-0) is looking for the upset, with two first round wins of her own.
Glena Avila is looking to snap a two fight losing streak as she faces former amateur champion Katie Howard at Rumble at the Roseland in Portland, Oregon
Avila (2-2) got back to back armbar wins to start her pro career, and lost back to back decisions.
Howard (1-0) is coming off a decision win over Miriam Cardoso Cerqueira in February.
In other pro bouts:
- At IRFA 6 in Sweden, Iman Darabi faces Veera Nykänen. This will stream live and free here at 9 a.m. pst/Noon est Saturday.
- In a pair of bouts at Arena Fight Night 3 in Brazil, Amanda Torres takes on Lucia Senna, and Paula Baack battles Mayara Ferreira Aguiar.
- Anne Merkt fights Aitek Emadi at RespectFC 11 in Germany
- At Exclusive Fights IV in Wasilków, Poland, Barbara Nalepka faces Katarzyna Jakubczak. This will stream live and free here at 9 a.m. pst/Noon est Saturday.
- At Cabo Fight Champioship in Pernambuco, Brazil, Carol Javali battles Elaine Albuquerque
- Seo Hee Ham faces Shino VanHoose at Road FC in Seoul, South Korea
- At ProFC 53 in Oblast, Russia, Annalisa Bucci takes on Milana Dudieva. This will stream for $10 at Epicentre.tv.
In ammy MMA action:
- In a pair of bouts at Premire FC in Agawam, Massachusetts, Sarah Payant faces Sarah Jacobson and Jessy Miele takes on Pam Sorenson
- Devaney Clayton battles Bianca Rodriguez at XFC Louisiana – Ponchatoula, Louisiana
- In Dunfermline, Scotland at Art of Combat, Helen Copus fights Tracey McFarlane
- At Slugfest in Witkowo, Poland, Małgorzata Smaczniak faces Zuzanna Zygmuńska
- Shauna Dicintio takes on Kirsten Scott at Heroes Combat League in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- At No Limit Fighting in Madera, California Dania Lopez battles Mayra Palestino (205)
- Beth Wright fights Danielle Ternet at Midwest Fight Series in Indianapolis, Indiana
- At AOL MMA in Plant City, Florida, Cheyanne Vlismas faces Letrail Solomon
Maria Elena Maderna will look to defend her WBO lightweight title for the second time as she faces Dalia Vasarhelyi in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Maderna (11-8) won 7 of her past 8 fights, gaining the title last June. She defeated Diana Ayala by unanimous decision in her first title defense in December.
Vasarhelyi (7-4) is on a three fight win streak and is coming off a first round TKO over Veronika Hornyak last month.
In San Diego, California, Kenia Enriquez and Jolene Blackshear will battle for the vacant NABF light flyweight title.
The undefeated Enriquez (10-0) has five KOs to her credit, and is coming off an unimous decsion win over Noemi Bosques.
Blackshear (8-4) has won four of her past 6 fights and is coming off an unanimous decision loss to Maria Suarez.
In other boxing action:
- In Lombardia, Italy, Anita Torti and Monica Gentili will fight for the vacant Italy lightweight title
- Victoria Noelia Bustos faces Natalia Vanesa del Valle Aguirre in Santa Fe, Argentina
- In Loir-et-Cher, France, Bilitis Gaucher takes on Laura Godbillon
- Jesica Espinal battles Johana Garcia in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- In Chihuahua, Mexico, Ibeth Zamora Silva dukes it out with Judith Rodriguez
- Zuseth Hoyte fights Iliana Bonilla in Santiago, Panama