Holly Holm got her first piece of MMA gold this past Friday, but not without injury.
The undefeated striking phenom took home the initial Legacy 135 title in her hometown of Albuquerque, NM with a fifth round TKO over Brazilian standout Julie Werner.
Holm (7-0) would control most of the match in the center of the cage with her kickboxing, with Werner trying to work against the fence with knees. Holm broke her arm due to a blocked headkick in the first round, which wasn’t known to anyone besides Holm at the time.
Holm continued her offence in round two, almost finishing the fight with liver kicks to Werner. Rounds three and four saw Werner being the aggressor, but Holm’s punching was just too fast and was able to dodge most of Werner’s punches.
A head kick would drop Werner in round five, but it would a few punches on the ground would be needed to make the ref stop the contest at 1:50.
Holm stated she doesn’t have a timeline on a return as she is weighing her rehab options.
Unbeaten bantamweight Larissa Moreira Pacheco continues to prove to be the top prospect not signed to a major promotion, getting a triangle choke submission win over Liziane Silveira at Jungle Fights in Brazil. The action packed fight which could be a contender for “Fight of the Year”.
In the first round, Pacheco and Silveira exchanged knees in the clinch early, as they were separated and Pacheco got the takedown. and transitioned to mount, securing an armbar. Silveira powerbomed her way out, getting some ground and pound before Pacheco tried for a heel hook. They fought their way back up to the feet. Pacheco landed a knee that dropped Silveira right before the bell.
Both stated a striking war in the second round, with Pacheco’s accuracy battling Silveira’s power. Silveira would get a knee to the face of Pacheco, but Pacheco would fight through it. Pacheco got a takedown as the round ended.
Third round saw Pacheco get the body lock takedown on Silveira and would settle into a half guard. Pacheco landed some ground and pound and would be swept by Silveira, who would get some ground and pound of her own. Pacheco secured a triangle from bottom at the 2:25 for the tap.
Pacheco wins her 10th fight, none going the distance.
In another pro bout on the card, Mariana Leonardo submitted Edlaine França by armbar round 2.
Milana Dudieva put herself back on the bantamweight map as she defeated Daria Chibisova to gain her second straight win.
Dudieva (10-3) had gotten the takedown and fought off an armbar and got the heel hook for the tap at 3:34 of round one.
DEEP-JEWELS champ Seo Hee Ham made a successful homecoming getting a two round decision over fellow JEWELS vet Shino Van Hoose at RoadFC in Seoul, Korea. The #3 ranked Ham was dominate as expected, but VanHoose looked much improved throughout.
In other pro bouts:
- At Rumble at the Roseland in Portland, Oregon, Glena Avila defeated Katie Howard by split decision
- In a pair of bouts at Arena Fight Night 3 in Brazil, Amanda Torres defeated Lucia Senna and Paula Baack defeated Mayara Ferreira Aguiar, both by unanimous decision
- Iman Darabi def. Veera Nykänen by unanimous decision at IRFA 6 in Sweden
- At RespectFC 11 in Germany, Aitek Emadi defeated Anne Merkt by unanimous decision
- In Wasilków, Poland at Exclusive Fight, Barbara Nalepka submitted Katarzyna Jakubczak by guillotine in 20 seconds.
- Elaine Albuquerque defeated Carol Javali by unanimous decision at Cabo Fight Championship in Pernambuco, Brazil
In ammy MMA action this weekend:
- At the Midwest Fight Series in Indianapolis, Indiana, Danielle Ternet got the TKO over Beth Wright at 1:45 of Round 1
- Sarah Payant defeated Sarah Jacobson by unanimous decision at Premire FC in Agawam, Massachusetts
- In Dunfermline, Scotland at Art of Combat, Helen Copus got the TKO over Tracey McFarlane at 1:12 of round 1
- At Slugfest in Witkowo, Poland, Małgorzata Smaczniak defeated Zuzanna Zygmuńska by unanimous decision
- Mayra Palestino defeated Dania Lopez by unanimous decision at No Limit Fighting in Madera, California
- At AOL MMA in Plant City, Florida, Letrail Solomon submitted Cheyanne Vlismas by guillotine at 1:02 round 2 to win the 105 title
Maria Elena Maderna successfully defended her WBO lightweight title for the second time defeating Dalia Vasarhelyi in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Maderna (12-8-3) was able to get the TKO in round 3 and earned her third straight win.
Kenia Enriquez earns her first boxing title, getting a 7th round TKO over Jolene Blackshear to win the vacant NABF light flyweight title in San Diego, CA.
Enriquez (11-0) has gotten six KOs in her career and recently handed Noemi Bosques her first loss.
Former WBC youth boxing title holder Mayela Perez gained her first major title as she defeated Alejandra Lopez by unanimous decision to win the vacant WBC Silver minimumweight title in Coahuila de Zaragoza, Mexico.
The former WBC Youth Super Flyweight and Minimumweight champ came back after a majority draw last year.
In other pro boxing matches:
- In Santa Fe, Argentina, Natalia Vanesa del Valle Aguirre defeated Victoria Noelia Bustos by unanimous decision
- Jesica Espinal got the TKO over Johana Garcia in round 2 at Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- In Chihuahua, Mexico, Ibeth Zamora Silva defeated Judith Rodriguez by unanimous decision
- Iliana Bonilla defeated Zuseth Hoyte by unaimous decision in Santiago, Panama
- In a pair of bouts in Slaska, Poland, Klaudia Szymczak got the TKO over Diana Borodka in round 1, and Karina Kopinska defeated Gabriella Roman by unanimous decision
- Angela Marciales defeated Angie Barca by unanimous decision in Barranquilla, Colombia
- In Lombardia, Italy, Anita Torti defeated Monica Gentili by split decision