In MMA action Wednesday at OFC 2 in Brazil, Bruna Vargas defeated Rafaela Garcia via Unanimous Decision and Carolina Karasek defeats Nanda Gadea via TKO in round 1.
On Thursday, Rosy Duarte defeated Cristina Araujo via Armbar in round 1 at OxMMA in Brazil.
Also Thursday, Latravia Pierce defeated Kim Colbert by points in boxing in Houston, TX.
JJ Aldrich (6-3) will take on Yvonne Alameda (2-1) in a strawweight amateur bout. The match joins Cassie Robb versus Liz McCarthy on the card.
We will have more fight announcements in the coming weeks and will be covering the event live May 9.
Muay Thai fighter Angela Hill will make her long awaited pro MMA debut April 26 as she will face Stephanie Skinner at USFFC 18 in Winston Salem, North Carolina April 26.
Hill made her pro Muay Thai debut last year for Lion Fights getting an unanimous decision win. Skinner (2-4) is coming off a win over Margaret Bloom in 2012.
It will be streamed on GFL.TV for $10.
XFC International tryouts have been announced for May 10th in Osasco SP, Brazil. They are looking for both male and female fighters. More details can be found here.
After over a year of no Ultimate Women’s Challenge drama, the show’s producer Lyle Howry is suing the fighters because they “leaked secrets and results from the show.”
The show will never see the light of day due to the production company not paying anyone including the fighters and crew, with the latter having “lost a solid portion of the footage”. The fighters lobbied the state of Utah for the fight results from the show to be made public so they can add it to their records.
You can read the complete story behind the fiasco here.
Gina Carano met with Dana White Wednesday night to possibly talk a match with Ronda Rousey. White confirmed the meeting did happen, but was tight lipped on what went down.
Holly Holm has decided to get surgery on her broken arm, with no exact timeline on when she will return.
As for her future, Holm’s manager was tight lipped about a rumored match between Holm and Cyborg Justino, but did state they invited Cyborg to Holm’s Legacy match last week.
The Legacy matchmaker stated during an interview this week that an European promoter has offered $250,000 for a boxing match between Holm and WBA/WBC/WBO Welterweight champ Cecilia Brækhus. Holm stated she was interested in fighting Brækhus in boxing this fall in Vegas.
InvictaFC vet Jocelyn Lybarger hopes for her third pro win as she takes on Rosa Acevedo at RFA 14 in Cheyenne, WY which will air on AXS TV. Both Lybarger (119.4) and Acevedo (119.6) came in on weight for their 120 catchweight bout.
Lybarger (2-1) won her pro debut at Invicta in 2012, and a year later would get a 27 second submission win over Jessica Armstrong-Kennett. She is coming off a loss to Sarah Alpar by unanimous decision last July.
Acevedo (1-0) won her pro MMA debut last month against Sharice Davids. She went 4-2 as an amateur.
Bantamweight prospect Agnieszka Niedzwiedz will look for her 6th straight win as she faces Gemma Hewitt at Cage Warriors in Swansea, Wales. Niedzwiedz (135.4) and Hewitt (134.1) both came in on weight.
Poland’s Niedzwiedz (5-0) has finished all but one of her opponents, getting a unanimous decision in her Cage Warriors debut this past December over Kerry Hughes.
England’s Hewott (1-0) got a TKO in her pro debut against Chloe Hinchliffe this past November.
The match will be streamed live and free in MMAJunkie.com at 4pm ET/1pm PT.
Marina Shafir will make her long awaited pro MMA debut as she faces Chandra Engel at Choas at the Casino in Inglewood, California.
Shafir went undefeated as an amateur 5-0 with all wins by submission. Good friend and training partner of Ronda Rousey, she has won all but one fight by armbar.
Engel lost in her pro debut against InvictaFC vet Marciea Allen. She went 9-8 as an amateur with five by submission.
In other pro bouts:
- At Rouge Fights in Redding, PA, Brianna VanBuren takes on Katie Klimansky
- Naiara Guerreira battles Jackeline Sales Ferreira Leite at Arena Combat in Brazil
- At Rolim Fight Combat 2 in Rolim de Moura, Brazil, Rosangela dos Santos faces Fabrina Vanessa
- In Austrailia at FWC 17, Arlene Blencowe fights Kenani Mangakahia. In an amateur bout, Janay Harding takes on Megan Anderson
The Tuff-n-uff strawweight tournament starts Friday night with two semi-final bouts. All fighters made weight. (Click the links to read interviewers for the fighters):
In a non-tournament strawweight bout, Jennifer Chareunvong takes on Alenna Nilsen.
The fights will stream on GoFightLive.tv for $10.
In other ammy bouts:
- At Kaged Kombat FC in Saratoga Springs, New York, Paige Matheson takes on Heather Lefevre
- Andy Nguyen faces Ashley Hancock at XFE in Greenville, South Carolina
- At A-Town Throwdown in Austin, Minnesota, Christina Jobe battles Natalie Madej
- Michelle Brunson fights Elisa Marrugo at Dragon’s Tail in Tyler, Texas
Gabriela Bouvier will defend her IBF flyweight title for the first time taking on Carolina Alvarez in Maldonado, Uruguay.
Bouvier (11-4) has won back to back fights and won the title this past October. Alvarez (11-5) is coming off a TKO win over Basilia Mancilla this past December.
Paola Gabriela Casalinuovo and Yajaira Hernandez will battle for the vacant IBF light middleweight title in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Casalinuovo (10-0) has finished all her opponets, having yet to see a third round. Hernandez (15-5) has 9 KOs to her credit and has won four of her last 5.
In another bout on the card, Paola Benavidez will face Guadalupe Maria Antonia Maldonado.
Sofia, Bulgaria will have six female bouts on a packed card Sunday:
- Galina Gumliiska vs. Kremena Petkova (135)
- Teodora Bacheva vs. Svetla Taskova (112)
- Tzvetalina Konstantinova vs. Dilyana Todorova (118)
- Djuliana Nikolova vs. Elena Bolrachova (135)
- Borislava Goranova vs. Lubka Asenova (147)
- Djuliana Nikolova vs. Elena Bolrachova (135)
In other pro boxing matches:
- In a pair of bouts in San Luis, Argentina, Yohana Belen Alfonzo and Maria Eugenia Lopez will fight for the vacant Argentina (FAB) super featherweight title, and Soledad del Valle Frias takes on Vanesa Lorena Taborda.
- Marie Riederer faces Veronika Hornyak in Berlin, Germany
- In a trio of bouts in Tijuana, Mexico, Katia Gutierrez fighters Brenda Flores, Sandra Robles faces Paloma Lopez, and Tania Enriquez dukes it out with Diana Gonzalez
- Dionna Brooks battles Latashia Burton in Cut Off, Louisiana