In pro MMA action from Friday night, Lacey Schuckman submitted Melissa Meyers by rear naked choke 1:35 round 1 at Fight to Win MMA in Denver.
In Shoot Boxing in Tokyo, Japan, Rena Kubota defeated Seo Hee Im by KO (Standing Guillotine Choke) 2:50 round one, and Ai Takahashi defeated Matsukuma Kikukawa by TKO 2:04 round one.
Three female bouts are set for Finland May 17th, and an Invicta vet will co-main event the card.
Invicta strawweight title contender Katja Kankaanpää will fight in her home country as she takes on Ukrainian Alyona Rassohyna.
Kankaanpää (8-1-1) is coming off her first pro loss to UFC sognee Joanne Calderwood. She has notable wins over Aisling Daly and Mei Yamaguchi.
Rassohyna (8-2) is coming off four straight first round armbars and will be the first time she will fight in northern Europe.
Finnish standout Suvi Salmimies will look to impress as she takes on Yana Lyashko of Russia. The third match will feature Vuokko Katainen taking on Julia Borisova.
HBO’s “Real Sports with Bryant Gumble” will feature a story about transgender MMA fighter Fallon Fox. It will include an interview with the first woman to beat Fox, Ashlee Evans-Smith.
The show will air Tuesday.
Andria Wawro will return to action June 6 as she will take on Jessy Miele at Reality Fighting 52 in the Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut.
One to the top featherweight prospects, Wawro (2-1 pro) won three of her 4 matches as an amateur. He last pro bout was last year with a unanimous decision win over Cassie Crisano.
Meile will make her pro debut after having her first and only amateur bout in 2009. The BJJ purple belt has traned in fighting for 8 years.
The fight will most likely be streamed on Go Fight Live for $10.
Universal Sports Network will be broadcasting the finals of the “US Open” freestyle wrestling tournament Saturday night in Vegas.
Here are the list of the finals:
- Alyssa Lampe vs. Victoria Anthony (48 kg/105.5 lbs.)
- Katherine Fulp-Allen vs. Whitney Conder (53 kg/112.25 lbs.)
- Helen Maroulis vs. Sarah Hildebrandt (55 kg/121 lbs.)
- Alli Ragan vs. Trinity Griffin (58 kg/128 lbs.)
- Jennifer Page vs. Jenna Burkert (60 kg/132 lbs.)
- Randi Miller vs. Veronica Carlson (69 kg/152 lbs.)
- Jackie Cataline vs. Iris Smith (75 kg/165 lbs.)
The matches will air starting at 7 p.m. pst/10 p.m. est.
On Sunday at noon pst/3 p.m. est, we will talk to boxing champ Ana Julaton, who will make her MMA debut against Aya Saeid Saber at OneFC in the Philippines.
You can listen live here Sunday.
A Brazilian website is reporting the World Series of Fight is looking to book Cyborg Justino versus Holly Holm for sometime next year.
Justino is currently sign with Invicta, and she is at the end of her contract after her next match. InvictaFC president Shannon Knapp has told us that Justino will defend her 145 title against India Gomes in June.
As of now, Justino’s management has stated they are not interested in signing with the WSOF anytime soon.
Speaking of Invicta, Knapp is expected to make an announcement next week about the June event and a possible tv deal.
Should be noted the Fox and the UFC not only recognized InvictaFC in their graphics and commentary Wednesday, but they also used Invicta footage to pump up the fight between Sarah Kaufman and Leslie Smith. UFC and Fox never does this…
According to Dana White, Ronda Rousey requested to defend her title on the July 5th card. White noted that Cat Zingano was still dealing with “personal issues” and was the reason she wasn’t available. Miesha Tate stated this week she is picking Rousey to win over challenger Alexis Davis. Liz Carmouche refused to pick.
White also mentioned he is working on getting the Strikeforce fights on Fightpass. Due to a provision in their Strikeforce deal with Showtime, they aren’t allowed to air the complete fights anywhere. They would also need to edit sponsors out of the fights.
Fox will air it’s first female bout on national broadcast television as Miesha Tate and Liz Carmouche will face off in the co-main event on the “UFC on Fox 11” card in Orlando, FL. Both Tate (135.5) and Carmouche (135) made weight.
Both coming off losses, a win will get the one of them back in the title hunt.
The match will air on Fox Saturday night.
In other pro bouts:
- At Kansas Fighting Alliance in Kansas City, MO, Trisha Clark takes on Amanda LaVoy
- Crystal Stevens faces Rebecca Ruth at ShamrockFC in St. Louis, MO
Steelfist will have seven amateur bouts plus one pro bout in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Rachel Kemker vs. Killastina Matatohi (pro heavyweight)
- Rianne Whiting vs. Danielle Donaldson (ammy 135 title)
- Charlene Donahue vs. Krystal Larson (150)
- Brenda Enriquez vs. Carissa Merrill (120)
- Buffy Ogden vs. Morghan Filler (145)
- Becca Cater vs. Jennifer Snyder (125)
- Jessica Bergstrom vs. Deane Dorn (195)
- Palen Cornell vs. Ambur Madsen (125)
Watch the @WombatSports twitter feed for up to the minute results.
In other amateur bouts:
- At Fight Hard MMA in St. Charles, MO, Susie Wyatt faces Ronni Lawrence
- Kelly Wisecarver takes on Kayla Kipp at EAC in Fredericktown, Ohio
- In Absolute Action MMA in Williamstown, Kentucky, Kia Peppard battles Desiree Wilson (135)
- Jennifer Darr fights Stephanie Alba at NFC in Duluth, Georgia
- In UFA in Denver, CO, Selina Valdez-Montoya faces Latrisha Breidenbach
Erica Anabella Farias will defend her WBC lightweight title against Delfine Persoon Sunday in West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.
Farias (19-0) is looking for her 20th win and her 9th defense of her title. Persoon (28-1) is looking to put a fourth belt around her waste, as she is the current WIBF, WBF, and WIBA lightweight champion.
In a pair of bouts Buenos Aires, Argentina, Julieta Andrea Cardozo faces Maria Cecilia Roman and Alicia Monica Machaca battles Laura Soledad Griffa