Reminder that we will be at ground zero Monday as eight spots are up for grabs on “The Ultimate Fighter 20”. We have 20 confirmed trying out for the show but expect more will show up.
We can tell you also the already announced eight cast members will be in town next week for medicals. (Juliana Lima, Paige Van Zant, and Claudia Gadelha won’t be doing the show.) It will be a quick turnaround in terms of those eight chosen at tryouts who will be picked Monday night. There will be a total of 16 fighters in the TUF house.
If the UFC stands to form, we won’t know the rest of the cast until filming ends in late June/early July.
Mei Yamguchi (11-7-1) will make her long awaited DEEP-JEWELS debut on the promotion’s 4th card May 18th.
The former Valkyrie champ is coming off back to back split decision losses at PXC, which could have gone either way. She dropped to 105 in her last fight and looked impressive at her new weight.
Yamagucho will face journeywoman Yukiko Seki (12-23) who is coming off a decision win last November over Madoka Ebihara.
The card will be main evented by Shizuka Sugiyama and Takayo Hashi battling for the inaugural D-J 135 title.
Charmaine Tweet hopes to average a loss May 21 as she takes on Anna Barone in Montreal, Canada.
Barone (2-3) KOed Tweet in 18 seconds in the first meeting in October 2011. Barone only fought once since then, losing to Kaitlin Young via doctor’s stoppage.
Tweet (4-4) was on a three fight win streak before debuting for Invicta last year, losing a decision to Julia Budd.
The fight will take place at 155 pounds and will main event the card. It is expected to be streamed.
Featherweight prospect and Dane Maria Hougaard Djursaa will look to gain some gold as she faces Italian Annalisa Bucci at European MMA May 23rd in Falconer Salen in Denmark.
Djursaa (5-4) is on a three fight win streak with wins over Jorina Baars and Alexandra Buch. Bucci (6-2) is on a five fight win streak, finishing all but one opponet during her streak. She will face undefeated Pannie Kianzad May 3 before taking on Djursaa.
No word on if the fight will be streamed.
The CJ Report did an interview with InvictaFC vet and former JEWELS 115 title holder Ayaka Hamasaki. She is currently rehabbing a nagging knee injury she had before her last fight with Claudia Gadelha. She went under the knife a month after her last fight and seems to be recovering well. She hopes to return in late summer or early fall for DEEP-JEWELS. Contrary to early reports, she stated a drop to 105 is an option, but she is sticking to 115 for now.
In the interview, she talked about the retirement of long time training partners Megumi Fujii and Htiomi Akano, and the current WMMA scene in Japan. You can watch it here.
Amateur prospect Sarah McLeod will make her pro debut May 16th at Prize Fighting Championship in Williston, North Dakota against Shawna Lang.
McLeod (7-5-1) has won her last three fights. Not much is know about Lang, but has a win over Brittany Weis in 2012. She has also fought for Fusion Fight Legaue out of Billings, MT.
This fight will stream live on gofightlive.tv for $10.
World boxing champion Cecillia Braekhus has parted ways with her promoter according to an article on NRK Sports.
Braekhus has had problems with her promoter, Sauerland, for a while. She was waiting for her contract to be up to get rid of the promoter so she can fight more often and help pave the way to a possible superfight with Holly Holm.
Thanks to @LEEKDaSneek for the news tip.
The Americana MMA clothing line has announced they have put a $5000 KO bounty on UFC Champ Ronda Rousey.
The company specified that they will give the award to the first fighter who gets a knockout over the champ in a sanctioned fight.
Wimp2Warrior Season 2 is in the can and will debut in Australia in June. The series, which takes ordinary men and women and turn them into MMA fighters, will also post videos as the series progresses for foreign viewers. They are planning a third season, which will feature a U.S. vs. Canada cast.
As we mentioned several times before, Juliana Lima and Claudia Gadelha won’t be taking part in the Ultimate Fighter 20. A major reason is due to the language barrier. We are hearing that Gadelha will be making her octagon debut in Brazil in June.
InvictaFC vet Danielle West has stated she is dropping to 125 and is preparing a test cut in the next few weeks. She plans on returning to action in August.
Alexis Davis will spend part of her upcoming fight camp at Team Alpha Male to help with her wrestling.
ADCC and world BJJ champion Gabi Garcia stated she will make her MMA debut at Real Fighting Japan August 17 against a yet to be named opponent according to an article on DamadeFerro.com. She also mentioned being given an offer to fight for XFCi.
Ultimate Fighter vet Jessamyn Duke and Brazilian Bethe Correia are both seeking their second UFC win. Both came Correia (135) and Duke (135.5) came in on weight.
Duke (3-0; 1NC) is coming off a decision win over TUF castmate Peggy Morgan. She has been training with champion Ronda Rousey and Shayna Baszler to prepare for the fight.
Correia (7-0) is coming off a decision win over Julie Kedzie. She trains with the Pitbull Brothers of Bellator fame.
The fight will air on the televised prelims on Fox Sports 1 Saturday.
Kalindra Faria looks for her 11th straight win as she takes on Sanja Sucevic at XFC International in Sao Paulo ,Brazil.
Faria (14-3-1) made a successful transition strawweight in her lat outing, submitting Laura Balin in the second round at MMA Super Heroes. She has finished six of her last 11.
Sucevic (4-2) is coming off a loss last year to TUF 18 contestant Colleen Schneider at 125 pounds. She is making her way back to strawweight and has wins over Lena Ovchynnikova and Irene Cabello.
The fight will stream for free on XFCMMA.com Saturday.
In other pro bouts:
- In a pair of fights at Spartan Combat League in Denver, CO, Brittney Elkin faces Amanda Bell and Shannon Sinn takes on Courtney Himes
- Angela Hill makes her pro debut against Stephanie Skinner at USFFC in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- At DakotaFC in Fargo, North Dakota, Mariah Prussia battles Shannon Gunville
- Pamela Boveda fights Elen Torres at Rhino Fight Combat 6 in Alto Parana, Paraguay
- At Barracão Fight Championship 3 in Ponta Grossa, Brazil, Jessica Suelem dukes it out with Jaquelline Santana
- Aline Sério faces Paula Baack at GSF in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- At Jason Fight Championship 1 in Brazil, Ana Maria Índia takes on Ilara Joanne
In amateur action this weekend:
- In a pair of bouts at Gladius Fights 11 in Cortland, New York, Hannah Grable takes on Andrea Lee and Alyssa Vasquez faces Janice Meyer.
- Ashley Jackson battles Nichole Usko at NAAFS – Akron, Ohio
- At Warrior FC in Corbin, Kentucky, Elizabeth Richardson dukes it out with Alannah Arnett
- Aspen Ladd fights Cynthia Calvillo at WCFC in Sacramento, California
- At Rage in the Cage in Staffordshire, England, Anya Lynette Hynes takes on Amy O’Mara (120)
- Sinead Kavanagh faces Aoifé Murphy at Cage Contender in Belfast, Northern Ireland
- At FiveStar in Fort St. John, British Columbia, Canada, Robin Combs battles Elyse Stevenson
Yesica Yolanda Bopp is looking to be a two division champion as she takes on Daniela Romina Bermudez for the vacant WBO flyweight title in Rio Grande, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina.
Bopp (26-1) is the current WBO/WBA light flyweight champion having won the title last July. She successfully defended the title in December against Ana Fernandez.
Bermudez (16-2-2) is on an eleven fight win streak and hold belts at bantamweight and super flyweight.
Also on the card, Adela Celeste del Carmen Peralta faces Maria Angelica Ruiz.
Nicole Boss looks to defend her EBU lightweight title for the first time as she takes on Sopio Putkaradze in Berne, Switzerland.
Boss (11-4-2) in on a four fight win streak and won the vacant title with a decision win over Kremena Petkova in December.
Putkaradze (10-1-2) has won four straight and is looking for her first boxing title.
In other boxing action:
- In a pair of bouts in Polanco, Distrito Federal, Mexico, Maria Ramirez takes on Sonia Osorio, and Viridiana Ramos faces Estefani Casilla
- In bouts in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Ruth Stephanie Aquino fights Tamara Marianella Nunez and Stefany Bizquiazo battles Norma Elizabeth Diaz Caucota
- In Panama City, Panama, Zuliana Mendoza dukes it out Jocelyn Edwards and Iliana Bonilla faces Zuseth Hoyte
- Ericka Rousseau takes on Bilitis Gaucher in Charente-Maritime, France
- In Saint-Maur, Indre, France, Jessica Tamara Vargas fights Cindy Bonhiver (122)
- Anne Sophie Da Costa dukes it out Fleis Djendji in Saint-Just en Chaussee, Oise, France
- In Haute-Vienne, France, Myriam Dellal faces Wendy Gervois (135)
- Jessica Balogun takes on Edita Lesnik in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
- In Kielce, Poland, Ewa Brodnicka fights Kremena Petkova
- Anna Donatella Hultin battles Karina Kopinska in Malmo, Sweden
- In Buchs, Switzerland, Vivian Fontana dukes it out with Katarina Vistica