After a very long wait, InvictaFC has announced their 8th card, and the announcement didn’t disappoint.
September 6 will be the date for the show, which will once again emanate from Kansas City. All the fights will be live on UFC Fightpass.
The main event will feature atomweight champion Michelle Waterson taking on Japan’s Yasuko Tamada. Waterson (11-3) will be defending her belt for the first time after having won the belt from Jessica Penne last year. She is on a four fight win streak.
Tamada (15-8-3) has won three straight fights under the JEWELS banner and is currently #6 in the Unified rankings. She is a nine year veteran of the sport.
In the co-main event, the vacant InvictaFC strawweight title will be up for grabs as former XFC champion Stephanie Eggink will take on Katja Kankaanpää. Eggink (4-1) won the XFC title by defeating TUF 20 participant Angela Magana by triangle choke in September. She also has a decision win over TUF 20 fighter Heather Clark.
Kankaanpää (9-1-1) is a staple of Invicta, having went unbeaten in nine fights before losing to Joanne Calderwood. With wins over Ais “The Bash” Daly and Mei Yamaguchi, she recently got back on the winning track defeating Alyona Rassohyna in May.
What was the most exciting announcement in our opinion is the rubber match between Roxanne Moddafferi and Tara LaRosa. The first 2 fights are the stuff of legend in the WMMA community. LaRosa defeated Modafferi by unanimous decision in 2006 in their first outing, with Modafferi gaining a split decision win in 2010, garnering it “Match of the Year” at the WMMA Press Awards. The third fight looks to be a show stealer.
India Gomes has foregone her title match and will drop to 135 to face Tonya Evinger on another match announced for the card. Gomes (10-2) was the #1 contender for the featherweight title, but had expressed interest as of late to drop to 135. She has won four straight and has wins over Leslie Smith and Hiroko Yamanaka. Her only losses were to Amanda Nunes and UFC champion Ronda Rousey.
Other matches announce include:
- Michelle Ould will make her long awaited return to the cage as she takes on the undefeated DeAnna Bennett in what could be a title eliminator to see who faces flyweight champion Barb Honchak.
- TUF 18 and UFC vet Peggy Morgan will make her promotional debut against Mexico’s Irene Aldana.
- Undefeated Mexican standout Alexa Grasso (4-0) will face InvictaFC vet Ashley Cummins (3-2).
- Undefeated knockout specialist Veronica Rothenhausler will take on Charmiane Tweet in what will be the promotion’s first ever 155 contest.
- Jodie Esquibel will look to rebound from her first loss as she takes on 2-0 Jinh Yu Frey at atomweight.
- JJ Aldrich will make her pro debut against 2-0 Delaney Owen.
For those wondering about Cyborg Justino – she is set to possibly fight on the next card. She is doing a test cut to 135.
InvictaFC president Shannon Knapp stated she will have more announcement in the upcoming weeks on InvictaFC 9. She is planning on getting at least 2 or 3 cards in before the end of the year.
All past InvictaFC matches are now on UFC Fight Pass, and all of Invicta’s future matches will be as well, including the live ones.