In action Friday night, Marion Reneau defeated pro debuter Maureen Riordon by armbar at 4:15 of round 1. The bantamweight gets her third straight first round victory and her first submission win as a pro.
Saturday morning at RoadFC, Hyo-Kyung Song defeated Hazuki Kimura by TKO 2:21 of round 2 in Gumi, South Korea.
Fernanda Soledad Alegre successfully defended her WBO light welterweight title, getting a second round TKO over Dalia Vasarhelyi in Buenos Aires, Argentina on Friday.
Also In boxing action Friday, Kristin Gearhart and Ashleigh Curry fight to a split draw in Chicago.
Jemyma Betrian has an opponent for her pro mma debut August 10th. Washington’s Hadley Griffith is looking to recover after a loss this past weekend to take on the Muay Thai standout at Chaos At The Casino 5 in Inglewood, CA.
Betrian, a champion in Muay Thai, has been training with UFC champion Ronda Rousey for her switch to MMA. Griffith also have a Muay Thai background and looks to hand Betrian her first loss in MMA.
The event will be headlined by Marina Shafir taking on Amanda Bell in a featherweight battle.
Rising atomweight prospect Catherine Costigan will once again battle in her hometown of Dublin, Ireland as she will take on Monaco’s Noelia Molina at Cage Warriors 70 August 16.
Costigan (4-0) has recovered nicely after a three year absence due to injury, winning three straight. Molina will be dropping to 105 for the bout, and hasn’t seen action in a cage since her loss to Joanne Calderwood in 2012. She has been active in the Muay Thai scene in Europe however.
The fight will stream on MMAJunkie.com August 16.
Brazil will have a very busy August and early September as Damadeferromma.com has announced several bouts in the country.
- August 7 at Circuito de Lutas Fight Night, Arielle Souza and Mahri Guerreira will look for their first wins as pros. In a Muay Thai bout, Ladie Dias battles Roberta Cristina.
- In a pair of bouts at AFC on Aug. 9 in Balneário Camboriú, Brazil, Claudia Rey (4-0) takes on Natali Alves (pro debut) and Roberta Paim (3-0) faces Daniela Oliveira (pro debut).
- Undefeated Viviane Sucuri (5-0) will make a drop to 115 as she faces Gina Naja (1-2) at Limo Fight 13 in Limoeiro do Norte, Brazil August 15.
- InvictaFC vet Jennifer Maia (8-3) will look to maintain her #3 Unified ranking as she takes on raising star Elaine Albuquerque (9-3) at Circuito Talent 11 August 23 in São José dos Pinhais, Brazil. This will be for the promotion’s flyweight title.
- A month later, Circuito Talent will have another card in Campinas, Brazil September 20th, Livia Renata Souza (5-0) looks to stay undefeated as she takes on Camila Pitbull (8-3) in a strawweight bout.
Ana Julaton will be holding a media day August 6 at the House of Ryu in Las Vegas to help promote her upcoming fight against Ann Osmond at OneFC August 29th in Dubai, which will stream on OneFC.com. More info can be found at by clicking the picture on the right.
Sunday at 2:30 p.m. pst/5:30 p.m. est on the podcast, we will have veteran Muay Thai fighter Kate McGray, who will be returning to MMA as she takes on Maria Rios at National Fight Alliance’s event in California.
No rumors this week. Expect some next week.
After their first strawweight battle took place last week, the UFC is ready to bring some more international 115 talent in as Poland’s Joanna Jedrzejczyk will battle Brazil’s Juliana Lima at UFC on Fox 12 in San Jose, CA, which will stream on UFC Fight Pass.
The undefeated Jedrzejczyk (6-0) is coming off a KO victory over Rosi Sexton in June and had a quick turnaround when the UFC came knocking. With the contract came a drop from 125 to 115, but it seems the Polish star has adjusted nicely, making 115 on the button at weigh-ins.
Same couldn’t be said of Lima (6-1), who came in initially at 117 pounds, and then re-weighed at 116.5. Since she missed weight, she will be deducted 20% of her fight purse. Some controversy arose when main eventer Matt Brown came in overweight and will not be deducted from his fight pay because of confusion from the California State Athletic Commission doctor gave confusing instructions to both fighters. Lima tried to make weight but still missed, while Brown thought the doctor had ordered him to stop cutting weight instead of simply advising him not to.
Lima’s only loss was to InvictaFC title challenger Katja Kankaanpaa by decision.
WMMA Round-up got an interview with Jedrzejczyk after the weigh-in and you can watch it here.
In other pro MMA bouts:
- At Triple A MMA in New Mexico, Lindsay Jones faces Jessica Armstrong
- In a trio of bouts at Roshambo in Australia, Shauna Carew battles Ginny Connors, Lana Kate fights Jessy Jess, and Megan Anderson faces Kerry Barrett
- At ECC in Halafax, Canada, Holly Cline battles Jody Reicher
- Jin Tang take on Yana Lyashko at Kunlun Fights in China
The MMA Expo in New York will crown amateur champions as Fighters Source will have a card in “The Big Apple”.
Susie Wyatt-Walters will battle Angela Hancock for the flyweight title and Fernanda Araujo takes on Danielle Gallagher for the bantamweight title.
In other amateur bouts:
- At NAFC in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Shannon Goughary faces Kali Robbins and Emily Rady takes on Kelli Richards
- In a pair of bouts at Organized Chaos in Topeka, Kansas, Tabby Patterson fights Jessica Middleton and LeiLoni Stewart battles Stephanie Hull
- Kathy McCord takes on Rachel Johnson and Mercedes Chavez faces Monica Medina at Ignite MMA in Amarillo, Texas
- At the Legacy Amateur Series in Austin, TX, Elizabeth Palacios fights Brittany Robertson
- Lacie Jackson battles Rena Pena at GFA in Alexandria, Louisiana
- At Blackout FC in Carthage, Missouri, Blair Patton takes on Melissa Shepard
- Xin-min Lai faces Danielle Mack at Conquest FC in Garden Grove, California
Christina Hammer is looking to take a second division world title as she takes on former welterweight champion Anne Sophie Mathis for the vacant WBO light middleweight title in Dessau, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany.
Hammer (17-0) is undefeated and is the current WBO and WBF middleweight champion. Eight of her wins were within the distance.
Mathis (27-3) is the current WBF light middleweight champion winning the belt in June. She was on a 22 fight win streak before suffering back to back losses two two of the best in the world; Holly Holm and Cecilia Braekhus.
Anabel Ortiz will attempt to defend her WBA minimumweight title for the second time as she takes on Neisi Torres in Epazoyucan, Hidalgo, Mexico.
Ortiz (14-3) is on a four fight win streak Torres (12-2-1) won four her her past 5.
In other boxing matches:
- In Maipú, Mendoza, Argentina, Carla Romina Weiss take on Vanesa del Valle Calderon
- In a trio of fights in Alajuela, Costa Rica, Carolina Arias faces Lorena Arias, Celina Salazar battles Maria Elena Villalobos, and Yokasta Valle fights Maria Guadalupe Atilano
- Alica Melina Kummer dukes it out with Samia El Khaouat in Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany