In action Thursday, Costa Rican flyweight Reyna Cordoba submitted Anely Jimenez by 3rd round keylock. Cordoba moves to 7-0.
In boxing action Friday:
- In Perth, Australia, Erin McGowan gains the vacant WIBA World lightweight title by defeating Arlene Blencowe by unanimous decision. McGowen improves to 17-2.
- Kenia Enriquez defeated Ana Arrazola by unanimous decision to win the vacant WBO World flyweight title in San Diego, California. Enriquez remains undefeated and gains her first world title.
- In a pair of bout in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Gabriela Marcela Zapata retains her IBF World light middleweight title by second round TKO over Paola Gabriela Casalinuovo, and Vanesa Lorena Taborda wins the vacant WBC Latino flyweight title with a split decision over Maria Magdalena Rivera
- In Hamilton, Bermuda Kali Reis knocks out Teresa Perozzi in round 3 to win the vacant IBA World Middleweight title. Reis wins her first world title.
- Ruth Stephanie Aquino def. Cristina Beatriz Cuevas by unanimous decision in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- In Las Vegas, Nevada, Layla McCarter defeated Melissa Hernandez by unanimous decision (146)
In an amateur bout Friday, Courtney King defeated Jenna MaCallister by unanimous decision at Prize FC 7 in Denver, CO
The quarterfinals of TUF 20 started this past week, with #14 seed Randa Markos continuing her Cinderella run in the tournament. submitting Felice Herrig by scarf armbar round 1. This was the first time Herrig has been submitted in her MMA career. Markos will face the winner of the Rose Namajunas versus Joanne Calderwood match.
Next Wednesday, Jessica Penne and Aisling Daly will square off in the second quarterfinal
Doctors are estimating 50 days for Leslie Smith’s ear to heal enough to get back in the gym.
Montana’s Fight Force MMA announced a match between local fighter Ariel Beck and MMA vet Angela Hayes December 6.
Beck is coming off a loss in her pro debut to Emily Corso. The boxer is looking to show some of her improved ground game against Hayes (6-7) who also comes from a boxing background. Hayes lost to Holly Holm last year, and has been the only fighter to take Holm the distance.
No word on if this will be streamed.
This Sunday on the podcast, we will talk to InvictaFC star and veteran fighter Tonya Evinger about her current stretch of wins and preparing to fight Cindy Dandois.
You can listen to the podcast here at 1 p.m. pst/4 p.m. est Sunday.
Roxanne Modafferi and Vanessa Porto was suspected to be a number 1 contenders match, but Shannon Knapp told CSS Radio this wasn’t the case.
Knapp has yet to decide who will face champion Barb Honchak next, but Modafferi or the winner of the Jennifer Maia and DeAnna Bennett match seems to be the best candidates. Knapp doesn’t want to throw Andrea Lee too deep into the pool as of yet.
InvictaFC vet Paige VanZant will make her long awaited octagon debut against PXC vet Kailin Curran at UFC Fight Night in Austin, TX. Their match will stream on UFC Fight Pass Saturday. Both Curran (115.8) and VanZant (114.8) made weight.
VanZant (3-1) is coming off a submission win over Courtney Himes last year, and her only loss was to Tecia Torres. Curran has notable wins over Emi Tomimatsu and Kaiyana Rain.
After a two year absence, Molly Helsel will return to action.
The journeywoman fighter has found a home in Tucson, AZ and will compete there for the for WFF promotion against Lori Agins. Both fighters came in at 136.5.
Helsel is looking for a comeback after several fight of the night performances against some of the toughest fighters on the planet. Agins would get some recognition with a win over Helsel.
In an amateur bout, Tracy Cortez will face Arianne Christiansen.
In other pro matches:
- At Fighters Arena 10 in Poland, Katarzyna Lubonska faces Katarzyna Urban
- Leah Letson makes her pro debut against Christina Jobe at King of the Cage in Carlton, MN. In amateur action, Elizabeth McKenzie takes on Katheryn Bassignana.
V3 Fights will have a trio of female fights Saturday night in Nashville, Tennessee, and you can watch for free V3Fights.com.
Molly Dupertuis will have her final MMA match as she takes on Adriene Rainey. Dupertuis was a rising star in the sport but she has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and wanted one more fight before she hangs up the gloves.
Undefeated bantamweight prospect Jamie Milanowski looks to continue her climb as she takes on 1-1 Erica Fincher.
Rounding out the female bout, Briannah Conaster and Amy Coleman look to break losing streaks in a flyweight bout.
The card starts at 5 p.m. pacific/8 p.m. est.
In other amateur bouts:
- In a pair of bouts at XFO in Chicago, IL, Shaena Cox takes on Ricarda Gomes and Chi Sheibley faces Ashley Samples
- Elizabeth Warner battles Jodie Struzik at UCU 3 in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
- At Shock’n’Awe in Portsmouth, England, Jade Barker squares off with Ffion Davies
- Charlotte Park fights Tracey McFarlane at Scottish Fighting Challenge in Stirling, Scotland
In pro boxing action:
- In Marne, France, Anne Sophie Da Costa will defend her WBF minimumweight title against Susana Cruz Perez. Also on the card, Cindy Bonhiver takes on Elfi Philipps
- WIBF and GBU featherweight champion Elina Tissen faces Jasmina Nadj in Ahlen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
- In Toluca, México, WBC World light flyweight champion Ibeth Zamora Silva will battle Jessica Chavez
- In a pair of bouts in Malmo, Sweden, Anna Donatella Hultin squares off against Claudia Ferenci, and Johanna Rydberg dukes it out with Ana Simeonova
- In Buenos Aires, Argentina, Julieta Andrea Cardozo takes on Valeria Gramajo
- Najat Hasnouni faces Borislava Goranova in Antwerpen, Belgium