It was the fight that had the MMA world talking.
Angela Lee and Mei Yamaguchi’s war at ONE Championship: Ascent to Power in May takes home the WMMA Press 2016 Fight of the Year.
The awards are voted on by the WMMA Press committee, a set of journalists that have covered the female divisions of martial arts for years on may different levels.
Six journalists who voted on the award:
- Gina Begley – Pro WMMA Now / Bluegrass MMA
- Charlie Jewett – CJ’s Report (covering Asian MMA)
- Yael Grauer – TheSportsPost.com
- MarQ Piocos – WombatSports.com
- Elias Stefanescu – Ground and Pound (Germany)
- Kristin Ursy – Women’s MMA Round-up
The fight saw Lee’s submission game against Yamaguchi’s striking game, with both coming close to finishing in their signature styles. In what went 25 minutes, it was Lee who remained undefeated with an unanimous decision win to the initial One Championships 115 title.
We could be expecting another fight of the year performance from Lee as she takes on Jenny Huang for the atomweight title at ONE Championship: Warrior Kingdom in Bangkok, Thailand this Saturday.
Congratulations to Angela Lee and Mei Yamaguchi for the WMMA Press 2016 Fight of the Year.