The XFC headed to Sao Paulo, Brazil for their first card of an international fight series. The card featured two opening round matches of their flyweight tournament.
In what was an interesting bout between two undefeated fighters, Argentina’s Salvana Gomez Juarez (3-0) got the submission over Bianca Daimoni (3-1) with a keylock at 4:49 of round 3.
Action was slow to start, as both were tentative in the first minute not landing a single punch. After a warning by the ref, the two started in go at it in flurries, and then they slowed down. Juarez hit several low blow knees, which got her a warning from the referee.
The second round saw much of the same flurries than circling. Dainmoni was deducted a point for hair pulling in the clinch.
The third round saw Juarez more aggressive and finally got the takedown late, securing the keylock with just 11 seconds to spare. Jaurez advances to the semi-finals.
In a non-televised bout, Venezuelan Maryerlin Rivas defeated Brazil’s Daiana Torquato by unanimous decision and advances to the semi-finals.
Two strawweight bouts were featured on the CageSports MMA card in Tacoma, WA.
BJJ blackbelt Miriam Cardoso did well in her debut loss to Katie Howard. Howard’s aggression and top control proved the difference and Howard got the unanimous decision.
Undefeated amateur Regan Bennedetti made an impact in her pro debut, choking out Cheryl Chan by an arm triangle choke at 2:32 in round 2.
In other pro bouts:
- At CFFC 31 in Atlantic City, NJ, Rebecca Heintzman defeated Rachel Sazoff by split decision
- Claudia Rey go the TKO over Kessiny Mara in round 1 at NCF 19 in Balneário Camboriú, Brazil
- In Emerald, Australia at UCU 2 Jessy Rose Clark submitted Zoie Shreiweis by rear naked choke in round 1
- At Fight Time 18 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Julia Jones defeated Jenny Silverio by unanimous decision
Marina Shafir got her fifth straight first round submission win at U of MMA in Hollywood, CA Sunday as she got the armbar on Nicole Upshaw, who drops to 1-1.
Word is that this is the featherweight’s last amateur fight and will be turning pro soon.
Lightweight Rachel Wiley gained her 4th straight win as she defeated Autumn Lamle by split decision at VFC in Junction City, Kansas. Wiley improves to 4-1.
In other amateur MMA bouts:
- At HFC 19 in Valparaiso, Indiana, Anne Malinoff defeated Elane Santiago by unanimous decision to win the initial 105 title
- Briana Padilla defeated Melody Nanez by unanimous decision at King of the Cage in Albuquerque, NM
- In Myrtle Beach, NC, Andy Nguyen submitted Melissa Timmers by guillotine in round 1 at Warefare MMA
- At Just Scrap in Hilo, Hawaii, Kenai Sebala submitted Monica Franco by rear naked choke in round 2
- Melissa Wang defeated Saray Perez by unanimous decision at World Combat Series in San Jose, CA
In Binan City, Laguna, Philippines, Gretchen Abaniel has regained her WIBA minimumweight title, getting the TKO over Nongnun Mor Krungthepthonburi in round 9 in a match for the recently vacated title.
Abaniel (14-5) lost the title in 2010, and has won four of her last five.
In Chuncheon, South Korea, Mako Yamada remains undefeated and earns her first world title as she upsets Su-Yun Hong for the WBO minimumweight title. She won by split decision. Tamada improves to 5-0, and hands Hong (9-1) her first loss.
In other boxing matches:
- In Chicago, Illinois, Kristin Gearhart gets the TKO over Allanna Jones in round 3
- WBA bantamweight champ Irma Garcia defeated Nazly Maldonado by unanimous decision in a non-title bout in Huixquilucan, México
- In Pionki, Poland, Ewa Brodnicka got the TKO over Pavla Votavova in round 1
- Melania Sorroche defeated Galina Koleva Ivanova by points in Cataluña, Spain
- In Brussels, Belgium, Sanae Jah and Nevenka Mikulic fight to a draw
- At Rocks Xtreme in Robstown, Texas, Paulina Granados defeated Paola Ortiz by split decision and in an ammy Muay Thai match, Lindsey Marino defeated Audrey Alvarez by decision