For the 3rd straight year, a bantamweight has taken home the WMMA Press “Fighter of the Year”.
UFC champion Amanda Nunes take the top honor after a Hall of Fame year.
The awards are voted on by the WMMA Press committee, a set of journalists that have covered the female divisions of martial arts for years on may different levels.
Six journalists who voted on the award:
- Gina Begley – Pro WMMA Now / Bluegrass MMA
- Charlie Jewett – CJ’s Report (covering Asian MMA)
- Yael Grauer – TheSportsPost.com
- MarQ Piocos – WombatSports.com
- Elias Stefanescu – Ground and Pound (Germany)
- Kristin Ursy – Women’s MMA Round-up
Nunes started out with an unanimous decision win over Valentina Shevchenko which gained her a title shot against Miesha Tate. She headlined UFC 200 in that title match, and became the first openly gay UFC champion with her first round rear naked choke win over the former champ.
Nunes would again headline a big card at UFC 207 New Years Eve weekend, and became only the second person to stop Ronda Rousey.
Nunes is expected to rematch Shevchenko sometime this year. Nunes is on a five fight win streak.
Congratulations Amanda Nunes – WMMA Press 2016 Fighter of the Year.